Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Grunt66
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will apologize up front if this question has already been asked. My neighbor showed me his ARLO security camera earlier this week and he has been very happy with the system except for having to replace the batteries every two months. Yesterday I picked up the ARLO 6 camera indoor and outdoor wireless system (VMK3500-100NAS) at Frys and they matched Amazon price of $526.97. The reviews for the ARLO system are all over the place with people loving the system or hating it.

I am looking for feedback from owners that have owned the ARLO system and have made the switch to the ARLO PRO. Looking at the ARLO PRO 4 camera system (VMS4430-100NAS) it will cost me $649.99 at Best Buy. My biggest concern that I have read is the lag the standard ARLO system has when it detects motion. I watched one video on You Tube and a gentleman walked across the room and the PRO picked up the movement quickly as he passed however in front of the standard ARLO the camera did not pick him until he was ¾ of the way past the camera. The gentleman was walking. I appreciate any all input.  

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Tho the Arlo ( regular model ) works well, the PRO modle has a much improved response trigger....

If I already had Arlo , I would add to it. If I was starting from scratch, I'd go with theArlo Pros....

Both have + and - 's

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
MNBug
Guide
Guide

You could consider a mix.  I have 2 pros and 3 regulars.  The 2 pros are at my front and back door where motion happens pretty quick and I need to see stuff faster.  I have 2 in the garage where instant motion isn't as big of a deal and the last one is kind of a roving camera.  I will say that IMO the base station for the PRO seems much more stable to me.  You can get pro cameras for about $190 but the originals for about $125.

Matador
Guide
Guide

If you are buying a new system...buy the Arlo Pro.   it has rechargable batteries, better night vision, and better motion detection.  I bought the older system and returned it 1 week later.    Arlo Pro is worth the money.

Grunt66
Aspirant
Aspirant

I appreciate all the replies. I decided to go with the Arlo Pro system with 6 cameras. It appears 12 - 15 feet is the distance to activate the motion sensors. I will need to adjust two of the cameras outside since I am viewing the side of my house and our bedroom window is 20 feet from the camera, I can live view the area but the motion sensor will not activate since it is out of the motion sensor range, I am also dealing with a dead spot since one of the cameras will not connect at the front corner of our house (approximately 25 feet from the router). I tired two different cameras and both would drop the signal. I am using an Asus RT-AC3100 router and Cox premier internet service (100 Mbps down).