Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
denfpal1
Follower
Follower

When will the Arlo Pro outdoor cameras have 1080P (versus the current max resolution at 720P) resolution capability?  I'd like to buy a 4 camera system, but require the better resolution to identify people, faces, vehicles, license plate numbers, etc? - please advise.   When 1080P becomes available will this be a hardware (new camera) upgrade or merely a firmware upgrade to the existing system/cameras? 

14 REPLIES 14
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Will tell you the PRO cameras are not 1080, but 720  ( Configurable up to 1280 x 720 )

Even with 1080 , your more than likely going NOT going to get plates at a distance more than 30 ft. ( and if the car is parked ). Plates require most of the time a camera with less of a field of view and must be aimed at where the car is.

Biggest issue I see is user try to cover to much area with these types of cameras.

Reasons there are really two type of cams;

1) activity ; cover large area and you'll know what happen and when but not a ID type shot of subject.

2) id cam  ; cover a small area like a door way so when subject enters you get a good face for id... problem is if he goes some where else , you have nothing

So a  good camera system is a  combo of both ; activity and id cam...then you see what happen before / after and get faces.

Not to say these are bad cameras, I have 12 and love them...it is just don't over estimate what cameras do. and use them wisely to see/catch what you want

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
greenbrg
Tutor
Tutor

I have 6 cameras now, but would like to expand my system to 15 cameras but would like to have 1080.  Is there development for Arlo Pro 1080 or a 2.0 coming out within the next 6 months.  I like to watch animals and think a 1080 camera would do a better job then the 720.  My camera are at the best video setting.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TTBOMK, no... there is not a plan for a PRO camera at 1080, tho who really knows what is in the works.

Right now the Q cameras and the Arlo Baby are the only 1080 rez cams theat Netgear sells in this line... Tho they do, IIRR, have a professional line of cameras.

greenbrg
Tutor
Tutor
What do you mean IIRR?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suspect he means IIRC (If I Remember Correctly).

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

IIRR =  If I Remember Right  ( same as above sort of )

Yardy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I hope that Arlo can work on Wire-Free cameras with 1080p quality.

greenbrg
Tutor
Tutor

If I get a couple of the Arlo Q Plus and already have 6 Arlo Pro cameras.  How does this setup work?  Would I plug the Arlo Q Plus into network switch box and then plug that into the Wireless range extender and plug the base for the Arlo Pro into the network switch box?  And how does it work with saving and data usage extra when i have the basic 6 camera plan?  Has anybody done this? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Since you already have the basic plan, you will need to either upgrade your subscription or add a second account using a second email address for the new cameras. You can then use Settings, Grant Access from on account to the other so all cameras show up in that one account.

The Q Plus cameras can use either WiFi or Ethernet to connect to the network. If using Ethernet with the appropriate cable, you can power the camera using port over Ethernet or PoE. To do this, the switch or router that it's plugging into has to support PoE, also. Other, you can use the USB power supply to run the camera.

With that out of the way, the connection of the camera to the network is needed. If you're using Ethernet you can plug directly into a router, a switch or a WiFi extender. If you're using a WiFi extender to connect multiple Q cameras, the switch would connect to the extender and the cameras to the switch. Plugging the base into the same switch is possible but remember that all cameras may be streaming through the extender which could become swamped with the amount of data being transmitted. This may no be the best configuration so test carefully.
greenbrg
Tutor
Tutor

Would it be better to have: One internet range extender with switch with PoE for the Q Plus cameras and one range extender for the 6 Arlo Pro cameras and base or do these all need to be in the same port when connected?  Does the Q Plus camera max out at 6 cameras for the basic plan under a different email address as well?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you must use extender's, I'd split the cameras up across them to minimize overloading. It all depends on how much recording you anticipate.

Normal basic accounts allow only 5 cameras. You appear to have a system that allowed 6 to start with - there are a few that do that. The types of cameras don't matter.

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
I read somewhere that the amount of data taken for 1080p is virtually double that of 720, so the batteries would only last 1/2 the time for starters, never mind the bandwidth and Netgear having to double the capacity of the servers to keep 7 days worth!
greenbrg
Tutor
Tutor
I have a 2 TB drive so I am not worried about storage. And with 12 cameras I won't be recording on all 12 all the time.
ckdxxx
Apprentice
Apprentice

Netgear doesn't seem that concerned about optimizing Arlo for cost OR performance, as we've seen in other threads that they are using European datacenters from Amazon, which are more expensive than their US counterparts and slower for US-based customers.

That said, the data required to transmit and store 1080p video can, under the worst circumstances, be around twice that of 720p, but in practice, it's wholly dependent on what encoding optimizations are used.

Here's a handy article from Netflix that explains encode strategies and how they impact bitrate:

https://medium.com/netflix-techblog/per-title-encode-optimization-7e99442b62a2

The video that comes out of the Arlo cams obviously isn't of the same fidelity as a motion picture, and can be more heavily compressed.