Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
johnnyarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

i purchased arlo 5s cameras last week along with a vmb 4540 base station / smart hub. my cameras are not recording to local hub usb and still using the 30 day cloud given with arlo purchase.

how do i connect to hub usb storage? does it happen automatically when subscription ends?

frustrating to see 2 of my old pros recording to hub but not the new 5s cameras.

thanks

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@johnnyarlo wrote:

i purchased arlo 5s cameras last week along with a vmb 4540 base station / smart hub. my cameras are not recording to local hub usb and still using the 30 day cloud given with arlo purchase.

Is the Pro 5s camera connected to the smarthub?  Or did you connect it to your home wifi?

johnnyarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is connected to my home WiFi. How do I connect it to smarthub directly? I did not see a prompt for that. 

thank you

johnnyarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just looked at my available networks and the Arlo smarthub does not show. It would be VMB 4540. 

johnnyarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Home Wi-Fi. I do not see the vmb4540 listed as one of the networks available. Also in the camera thumbnail there is no icon for installed USB in smarthub. 

johnnyarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry keep adding on to the reply. This is the updated

it is connected to Home Wi-Fi. I do not see the vmb4540 listed as one of the networks available and do not know how to connect the cameras directly. 

i have 4 additional cameras other than the ( 3) 5s.  (3) pro 2 and (1) essential w/ spotlight that DO connect to the VMB 4540 and are listed under base station/smarthub. 

Also in the camera thumbnail there is no orange icon for installed USB in smarthub For any of the cameras  

thank you

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@johnnyarlo  wrote:

it is connected to Home Wi-Fi. I do not see the vmb4540 listed as one of the networks available and do not know how to connect the cameras directly. 

When you add the Pro 5s to the account, you have the option to select the base (or alternatively connect to your home wifi). You DON'T tell it to connect to the wifi base. You just select the base.

To do that now, you need to remove camera from the account, and then add it back. You might lose the trial subscription if you do that.

johnnyarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply..

if I were to remove the cameras and connect to base I would lose the subscription but I still have the option of recording to the USB that I added to the vmb4540 correct? 

the usb icon does not show on thumbnails and that’s because the cameras are connected to the home Wi-Fi and not base hub - correct? 

thnak you. You have been a great help.

john 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@johnnyarlo wrote:

if I were to remove the cameras and connect to base I would lose the subscription

I'm not 100% sure that you would lose the subscription.

But you would be able to use local storage.

@johnnyarlo wrote:

the usb icon does not show on thumbnails and that’s because the cameras are connected to the home Wi-Fi and not base hub - correct? 

With cloud storage, the thumbnail is an image of something the camera captured in the recording.  With local storage, there is no image, just an icon.  

So not directly related to how the camera is connected - instead it is related to whether you are looking at a local recording or not.