Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
bclem1425
Follower
Follower

I am upgrading to the 5S 2K camera and have a question about using the 25' outdoor cable. Will a battery still be required if I use the cable plugged into house current?

2 REPLIES 2
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Forgive me if you’re already aware of this but you cannot wire the house electrical mains power wiring to the camera extension cable. You need a 5vdc charger or a compatible solar panel.

If you intend to run the camera without a battery installed you would need a charger.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DannyBearAgain:  The Arlo outdoor "cable" for the Ultra/Pro3/Pro4/Pro5s cameras includes an integrated adapter. So it is plugged in the house current.

@bclem1425 wrote:

I am upgrading to the 5S 2K camera and have a question about using the 25' outdoor cable. Will a battery still be required if I use the cable plugged into house current?

You won't need the battery.  Though there is some benefit to keeping it, as the camera will keep running if there is a brief power interruption.  Arlo cameras do have overcharge protection, so it is safe to leave them in.

The main reason to remove the battery is that some Arlo cameras will run at lower temperatures w/o the battery - below the spec'd limit of -20C/-4F.  No idea if that is true with the the Pro 5s or not.