• 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
mkrobo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I read this:

"Arlo Pro 5S, Arlo Pro 4, Arlo Pro 3, and Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight Cameras have a maximum motion detection of 50 ft (15m) when the camera is connected to an AC power adapter with a fully charged battery."

Here:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062617/How-far-away-can-Arlo-Cameras-and-Arlo-Video-Doorbells-detect-motion

Here is my question:

Does using the solar panel (instead of the AC power adapter) have the same result?

Thank you, in advance, for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkrobo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again.

It would be very helpful if they showed (and described) the part as it actually is 😉

I have no AC plugs on the outside near where the camera is installed so I will need to get inside somehow.

I might be able to find a gap in the garage seal near the upper corner ???

I'll need to take a look BUT I do appreciate your help and you solved my initial issue.

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No. The solar panel is just a trickle charger while AC power takes over the whole camera's operation. I hadn't seen that chart before so I can't comment on its accuracy but it jibes with the idea that scene change (differing pixels in the scene) is the method used for detection rather than using PIR sensors. I knew the indoor cameras (Q, Essential 1 and 2 Indoor) used the pixel-based detection but was unaware that other new cameras can use this when AC-powered.

Anyway, use an actual charger if you want the longer detection range.

mkrobo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you jguetdat.

Just to clarify...

When you wrote:

-- "Anyway, use an actual charger if you want the longer detection range."

You meant the 25 ft. Outdoor Magnetic Charging Cable?

-- https://www.arlo.com/en-us/accessories/VMA5600C-100NAS.html

And I 'm assuming that I will need to hire an electrician to drill a hole near the camera so they can bring it in and connect it to an electrical outlet in the wall.

OR - since it would be in the garage and aesthetics don't matter all that much - they can add an AC plug to the cable and I can just plug it in a close outlet on the inside wall?

Thanks again!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's the right charger. How you plug it in and run the cable however it works for you (drilling a hole would be my last resort but may be needed, however, almost anyone can do that - no electrician is needed for that). While it's not shown, there's a wall wart permanently attached to the cable so nothing is needed to be added. Plug it in, run the cable as needed and connect to the camera.

mkrobo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again.

It would be very helpful if they showed (and described) the part as it actually is 😉

I have no AC plugs on the outside near where the camera is installed so I will need to get inside somehow.

I might be able to find a gap in the garage seal near the upper corner ???

I'll need to take a look BUT I do appreciate your help and you solved my initial issue.

Thanks again.