• 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
wiggybda
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there,

I have 3 new Arlo Pro 5s cameras, first problem: 

The Arlo app doesn't offer the Arlo Pro 5s as an option - but if you select Arlo Pro 4 it connects perfectly.

I can't get my new Arlo Pro 5s cameras to record to my basestation (VMB4000) - they detect motion no problem, I get notifications but no recordings.

The Arlo website tells me they ( Pro 5s and VMB4000) are compatible - my original Pro cameras work fine - they detect motion and record everything but are older, batteries don't last so long etc,  so I was looking to replace them and upgrade. I bought 3 new Arlo Pro 5s and I am trying to insert them in to my 5 camera set up. They work fine , great images, they detect motion but don't record it.

I have reinstalled the app, rebooted the basestation, rebooted the camera, tried 2 of my 3 new cameras, same result.

The app doesn't offer the Arlo Pro 5s as an option and when connected they detect but don't record motion.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@wiggybda wrote:

The app doesn't offer the Arlo Pro 5s as an option

What country are you in?

wiggybda
Aspirant
Aspirant

Bermuda

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@wiggybda wrote:

Bermuda

Normally if you don't see the camera, it is because Arlo doesn't sell or support it in your region.  AFAIK that is the case in Bermuda.

It is surpising that selecting the Pro 4 worked at all.  

I think what you need to do is use a VPN to create a new account in the US.  Then you should be able to move all your equipment to that new account (with the VPN disabled).  The Pro 5s should show up in that account (check for that before moving anything).

Note that you will need a subscription to get any cloud recording with the new cameras.  Arlo stopped offering the 7-day cloud storage you have now on new camera models back in 2018.  Getting that subscription likely will also require a US payment method.

There is a direct access to local storage capability in the new smarthubs (VMB4540 and VMB5000), but that is not available in your VMB4000 (which supports local recording, but not playback).  That feature does not require a subscription, but doesn't offer the best user experience:

• recordings only available in the app (not my.arlo.com)
  • recordings only available in the primary account (not "friend" accounts)
  • no ability to make manual recordings or snapshots
  • no thumbnails - videos need to be downloaded to your phone to view anything
  • remote access requires router setting changes that many find difficult (and which don't work with some internet service providers).
wiggybda
Aspirant
Aspirant

Stephen,

Thanks so much for your time and carefully explained answer.

I suspect I will have to eat the cost of the cameras and perhaps sell them to when i am back in NY, next. I will go back to my old cameras for the time being. Unfortunately, I don't have the time and energy for VPN's just for my camera system. But I believe everything you say to be correct.

I can see pro 4 in my app - do you think they would work in my vmb 4000 system or is an upgrade to to the 5000 necessary .  i have no desire or need to sign up for the subscription but might buy the relatively inexpensive pro 4's if you think they would work.

Thanks again

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@wiggybda wrote:

I can see pro 4 in my app - do you think they would work in my vmb 4000 system or is an upgrade to to the 5000 necessary .  i have no desire or need to sign up for the subscription but might buy the relatively inexpensive pro 4's if you think they would work.

The Pro 4 (like the Pro 5s) is compatible with the VMB4000.  But you would also need a subscription.

@wiggybda wrote:

I suspect I will have to eat the cost of the cameras and perhaps sell them to when i am back in NY, next.

If you aren't in a rush, you could just create a new account while you are in NY.   That would have the same effect.