Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've had ongoing headaches with my Pro 5S cameras not detecting events or taking snapshots instead.

Today I did a side by side test with a Pro 4 camera in the same location. Both devices are on 2.4GHz and connected to an outdoor Ubiquiti AP (great signal strength for both). I did try the device on 5GHz and found it to be similarly flaky so reverted to a hopefully more stable 2.4GHz connection. Unfortunately not.

Since I have done this side by side test, the Pro 4 is detecting every event (and recording a video). 

The pro 5 recorded video once, completely missed one event and recorded a snapshot instead for the third event. With the video was choppy and audio partially missing at the start, while the Pro4 was smooth and had audio for the full clip.

Both devices are active under my subscription, set identical under the routine (to record video), and smart notifications set the same.

I've had this replaced with a new sealed unit by support for the second time with the same outcome.

Are these devices inherently faulty? anyone else experiencing similar?
Best answers
  • BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The firmware has started rolling out. It should be completed within the next week. As soon as that is fully rolled out the behavior you are seeing will be resolved. 

• BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

I have this escalated to the engineering team. I will update the community as soon as possible. 

563 REPLIES 563
roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN @chicane 

I think it's very safe to say that we all appreciate your efforts regarding the Field Trial Firmware...and that it's focus was on certain behaviors.

But the very recent current issue some of us are now dealing with has to do with the Field Trial Firmware "REPLACEMENT" activity that some if us have just experienced:

".....The "Post Field Trial - Production Firmware Version" ...that was installed on TWO of my four 5s cams a couple days ago was in serious error....."

They were NOT the latest production firmware...in fact they were nothing more then the ORIGINAL firmware that TWO 5s cams had on them while they were on a Base Station PRIOR to the Field Trial Firmware coming out:

The ORIGINAL PRE-FIELD TRIAL Firmware that was incorrectly re-installed on two of my 5s cams is # 1.040.28.7_93_caa9491.  It needs to be replaced ASAP.

I and some others need the CORRECT Post-Field Trial production firmware downloaded ASAP to replace the old original firmware that Arlo just INCORRECTLY installed on some of our 5s cams.

Will you please make the L3 people do this ASAP ??

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Reaching out now. I will update you as soon as possible. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN @chicane 

Thank you BrookeN...

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@roundball it is because it is still rolling out. So some of your cameras have already gotten it and the other will when it gets closer to being complete. However, I can keep the other two on the field trial tell it gets the production firmware. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN @chicane 

Well, for the life of me, I don't understand why they can't simply install the final production version.

But...if they can't just do that...then, yes, at least have them reinstall the Field Trial Firmware ASAP so I can at least regain those improvements.

Please let me know if / when they will...thanks BrookeN

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi @BrookeN 

I can assure you I did notify support of the missed events very early in the peace. 

You can even see it in the subject line of this thread.

I don't know if this is a communication error or a case of 'selective hearing' on behalf of Arlo Support. Obviously missed events is a serious issue, as a security device they must be reliable. Is this bug formally tracked and what is the projected timeline for resolution?

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN.....you made magic, thank you !!

08.28.24 - this morning's status update:

The two 5s cams that recently had the latest production firmware

# 1.040.28.17_195_ac8359b installed still had it installed

The two 5s cams that recently had incorrect old firmware

# 1.040.28.7_93_caa9491 installed had been returned to the Field Trial Firmware # 1.050.33.3_41_9322fd5.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@roundball Yay!! I will keep you updated on when they can go back to production. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN...hope you're doing OK.

08.30.24 – Update - Arlo made changes during the night again and some things were messed up again.

Cam#1_Deck

Has the OLD  # 1.040.28.7_93_caa9491 version installed again.

And Firmware Screen says “No Updates Available”

Cam#2_Back Yard

# 1.040.28.17_195_ac8359b still installed.

Firmware screen says no updates available.

Cam#3_Driveway

CAMERA WAS DARK, DID NOT WORK.

DEVICE INFO SCREEN SHOWED Field Trial Firmware

# 1.050.33.3_41_9322fd5.

BUT…..associated FIRMWARE SCREEN showed old version

# 1.040.28.7_93_caa9491, March 27, 2024

AND…..said to UPDATE FIRMWARE.

So I did the UPDATE FIRMWARE in hopes that even the old version would at least get the camera working again.

It successfully updated.

DEVICE INFO SCREEN now shows old version

# 1.040.28.7_93_caa9491.

FIRMWARE SCREEN then said No Updates Available.

Camera is at least working again at that OLD version level.

Cam#4_Front Porch

# 1.040.28.17_195_ac8359b still installed.

So I’m back where I was day before yesterday.

I need that very old March 2024 firmware on Cam#1 and Cam#3 updated again to at least the Field Trial Firmware ASAP.

Especially with the long holiday weekend about to begin.

Please work your magic again and get them to do it right now.

Let me know, thanks…

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

This has been done @roundball as usual you will not see it tell tomorrow morning. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 

Thanks BrookeN…

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

You are welcome.

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

Just for clarification:

- in response to my complaint to top level support here in the UK about how Arlo doesn't test software/firmware upgrades, I was told "that before any new firmware update is released, it is firmly tested by our Developers Team. In addition, we have a group of users chosen for the beta tests of the new firmware or Arlo Secure app versions."

Erm... I don't think so.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 

08.31.24 – UPDATE – Two of my 5s cams Firmware were changed last night.  FWIW.....The replacement firmware is a brand new / never before seen #...and is not listed on the Arlo Firmware Release Table.....so may be an upgraded Field Trial ???

............................................................................................

Cam#1_Deck was old # 1.040.28.7_93_caa9491.

Now has a brand new DIFFERENT firmware # 1.050.33.6_71_393f539.

Cam#2_Back Yard still has # 1.040.28.17_195_ac8359b installed.

Cam#3_Driveway was old # 1.040.28.7_93_caa9491.

Now has a brand new DIFFERENT firmware # 1.050.33.6_71_393f539.

Cam#4_Front Porch still has # 1.040.28.17_195_ac8359b installed.

............................................................................................

NOTE 1:

If anyone knows what the NEW DIFFERENT firmware type is called  (Field Trial, Production, etc)  please share.

NOTE 2:

Other than all Four 5s cams seem to be working this morning, I haven't had any time yet to see how details of the new different firmware operates...will update as appropriate.

Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

That looks like a total mess. I haven’t even received an update. I know it takes time to roll out but when this problem is so bad that a camera misses literally every event and yet the pro 4 for that was next to it caught every single event I’m starting to wonder why I  even bought this camera.  I was hoping it was going to improve the night vision especially since I’m disabled and I can’t get to the front door easily. I’ve now got a camera that doesn’t do anything unless I manually record stuff but it doesn’t pick up events and it constantly shows no further updates at all  I’m so fed up with this. I’m seriously considering sending it back to Amazon because what’s the point if I don’t get a firmware update soon I’m gonna be asking for money back, no wonder they’ve become so cheap on Amazon, it feels like they’re inherently problematic and Arlo just wants to get rid of them as quickly as possible  Well that’s how it feels at least. I’m so disappointed  camera that’s  almost three years old which was some reason doesn’t ever show its rich update,  still grabs every event yet a brand-new Pro 5 camera with a better sensor doesn’t pick up anything.  

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Killhippie 

Did you at least get the "Field Trial Firmware" installed?

If not, message Community Moderator @BrookeN and ask if she'll set you up for the Field Trial download which occurs during the night.

( She doesn't work weekends so she probably won't see your message until after the weekend, and possibly after the Labor Day holiday )

Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

I'm dont think I want it after seeing the chaos you have gone though tbh. Also in the UK we have the likes of Verisure that muck things up, I'll wait and see if I get an update this week to the production version. Arlo are shameful dealing with this firmware issue. Verisure just makes things more complicated for UK users so I could end up with a ornament over my porch for months because of them. <sigh>

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Killhippie.....I understand...It's amazing to me that arlo product support is so poor.

IMO, we're very lucky to have Community Moderator @BrookeN being so helpful as she has.  

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

FWIW I now have even bigger issues, a Pro 4 camera since Friday has missed a ton of events (only a few in the morning, then after 4pm it started detecting again). Interestingly, the device does show movement detected (orange/red icon) but nothing is recording to the feed. routine settings are correct. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@chicane 

🙄never seems to end.

Out of curiosity, wonder if you got any unexpected firmware changes.

Also, one of mine went dark off line for over an hour today, then suddenly reappeared.

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

No, you're right: it never seems to end. I've said this before and I'll say again so that it can get through to Arlo staff, and more importantly, the CEO: for a premium price, you're offering a mediocre product and support. 

> Also, one of mine went dark off line for over an hour today, then suddenly reappeared.

That's unrelated to firmware upgrades, unless, of course, you've now been graced with bad firmware, which happened to me in May, resulting in local storage being inaccessible for over a week.

In your case, it's probably another issue with the system or your ISP.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Edinburgh_lad1 

FWIW...all 5s cams were powered on / working.

Later noticed a single 5s had gone completely off, black screen, symbols at screen bottom all off / dark, etc.

( Production Firmware # 1.040.28.17_195_ac8359b )

Device Settings controls were significantly reduced, no way to power it on or display anything, just dark & dead.

I left things alone to see if / what might evolve from the situation.

Then about an hour later, it returned to full normal operation.

I assume something arlo...don't see how ISP could cause that.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN  and all...

NEW Firmware # arlo installed on two of my 5s cams.

# 1.050.33.6_71_393f539

Anyone else have it?

Anyone know if it's another Field Trial or a Production version?

WLynne
Guide
Guide

Yes, I have the exact new firmware on my Pro 5 cams.

# 1.050.33.6_71_393f539

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@WLynne 

Thanks for the reply...

And as "new" firmware, since I couldn't find it in the Release Note Table, do you know if it's a 'Field Trial' or a new / 'Latest Production" version ?