Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've had ongoing headaches with my Pro 5S cameras not detecting events or taking snapshots instead.

Today I did a side by side test with a Pro 4 camera in the same location. Both devices are on 2.4GHz and connected to an outdoor Ubiquiti AP (great signal strength for both). I did try the device on 5GHz and found it to be similarly flaky so reverted to a hopefully more stable 2.4GHz connection. Unfortunately not.

Since I have done this side by side test, the Pro 4 is detecting every event (and recording a video). 

The pro 5 recorded video once, completely missed one event and recorded a snapshot instead for the third event. With the video was choppy and audio partially missing at the start, while the Pro4 was smooth and had audio for the full clip.

Both devices are active under my subscription, set identical under the routine (to record video), and smart notifications set the same.

I've had this replaced with a new sealed unit by support for the second time with the same outcome.

Are these devices inherently faulty? anyone else experiencing similar?
237 REPLIES 237
Cmurdoch123
Initiate
Initiate

Hi there

I’m experiencing the exact same issue. I have the same model. The camera is fully charged, strong signal strength (it’s about 2 metres from the router) but still only takes snapshots most of the time. Today it’s taken about 20 snapshots and only 2 motion event recordings. 

How can I receive support from Arlo?

Hoping you can help here!

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi @Cmurdoch123 

I have been inconvenienced by this fault for months. The only way I got some real support is logging a ticket (with support), been given the absolute run-around with Arlo blaming everything else (my wifi, my connection speed, etc). The only thing that got some traction was raising it with @BrookeN on this forum, then it got some attention.
However they retracted the field trial firmware from my main front-of-property camera without any explanation, authorisation or notification so the problem returned. Despite me hassling Arlo Support with regular examples of snapshots, I didn't get a reply for over a week, with a generic reply (from Gen), then no reply for another week. However, I am in contact with a L3 tech (Jeff) at Arlo via email now who re-added it to the field trial firmware. 

It's amazing how poor Arlo treats its customer base without acknowledging the issue they KNOW they have with the Pro 5S. I hope it is something that can be fixed in firmware and not a hardware fault. 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

In addition to this, I find often that around this time (9am, however happens between 8-11am) in Australia (AEST) that while my connection is perfect, the camera has problems opening live view (spins around for 15-20 seconds) and no events are recorded.

I suspect there is some congestion on the Arlo cloud side, as this correlates with peak time within the US customer base/market.

This is an assumption - I have no insight as to why this happens and Arlo supports are simply ignoring my questions. 

@BrookeN can you provide any insight please. 

Inextirpable1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah, my Pro 5s (I bought 7 of them) are all super buggy, rarely work despite excellent WiFi reception to all locations.  Wasted all that money.

AlixO
Guide
Guide

@BrookeN Are you please able to provide an update on the firmware rollout? Is it still ongoing? Will it be released for all Pro 5s as an automatic update or do we need to log a request through Arlo support to get it? I’m checking daily for an update for the firmware for my 2 Pro 5s that haven’t worked properly since I bought them 2 weeks ago, but so far no updates are available. Thanks for any clarification you can give - I’d like to understand what’s happening with the rollout you’ve mentioned before I give up on the Pro 5s and return them. 

Cmurdoch123
Initiate
Initiate

Hi @chicane  how did you raise a ticket? I’ll do the same. 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Log a support request via the app. Once you get a number, @BrookeN can help. I sent her the case number via DM. Until then I got the run around, felt like I was dealing with AI bot support. Even though they were apparently human.. 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi @BrookeN can you get some real/useful info on the current issue? the Arlo Support agents are robotic and unhelpful wth any tangible/useful information. I feel like I am dealing with an AI bot even with replies under the case.

There are numerous issues with these cameras. Missed events (a showstopper), snapshots instead of video, very jerky/unsmooth video at initial detection phase. What is really happening at Arlo about this? Seems a lot of excuses and no real acknowledgement, nor solution on the horizon. 

This is fast becoming a 101 of how NOT to treat your customers.. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@chicane  you have been working with Jeff who is amazing at what he does. Last I spoke to him he stated that you confirmed your devices are now working and he moved the other two over to the field trials. Is there something else that is not working on your camera? I would suggest if there is reaching back out to Jeff he would be more than happy to assist. 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN if you think so, however he has not replied to my last email on 27th of May at 9:28am local time.

Hi Jeffrey
Please tell me what happened with my driveway pro 5s camera over past hour looking at the device log?
I’ve noticed activity yet no events detected nor captured. I’ve initiated a disconnect/reconnect from my wifi and I’ve noticed it can live view and expect events to now be captured.
This issue still has no answer.

Also, I do not have all the requested cameras on field trial. for example my back south 5S is still on caa9491, not the 2450fc8 that is the field trial firmware. 

Roaringpants
Tutor
Tutor

Someone please sort out this problem, I’ve had the pro 5S for a week now and having the same problem, missing events, full WiFi signal etc. 

hoping it just requires a firmware update to resolve the problem? If not sorted by the weekend I’ll be sending it back and look at a different brand. 

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

@BrookeN That's a matter of opinion. It looks like the issue hasn't been addressed yet, and may I respectfully remind you that the notification dot in the old UI never got addressed, at least in my case. 

So, facta non verba!

Psieren
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the Pro 5S and have the same issues. Misses events, and will start to record and stop after 10seconds.  I tried changing the Default Mode setting from record until activity stop to Record for a fixed length. Made no difference.  Didn’t change the record mode even. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Having all these same types of problems with my new 5s cameras.

FWIW, out of sheer frustration I decided to try something different.

I moved a couple of them off direct WIFI and connected to a Base Station a couple days ago, and they seem to be acting a little more normally now...will see.

ADDITIONAL:
The discharging / recharging issues still exist, but the motion detection and event recording seem to work so far.

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@roundball direct wifi or via a base station it makes no difference unfortunately. This is a firmware defect causing the intermittent fault.  

It makes it very hard to troubleshoot but I've battled this for months, the missed events frequency in a higher traffic environment does make it more obvious though. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just SMDH at how this sort of a family of very similar security camera product models continue to constantly be made and sold with so many problems in model after model.

Given the relative ease with which the problems immediately begin showing up after users start buying them forces the conclusion there's no thorough testing before hand.

If you're convinced that firmware is the major culprit in this 5s mess...do you have any concrete knowledge of "if" arlo is actually going to produce a firmware fix...and if so...When?

And to me, the "if" is important.  I just recently...after shipping and taxes...approached spending nearly $1000 for set of 4 new Pro4 cameras...and every one of them was new defective / unusable due to a terrible loud audio hissing / crackling problem.

And worse...it turns out it was an arlo known problem that they could not or would not fix...yet they still sold them to the unsuspecting public.

So I have very little confidence right now on this set of Pro 5s cameras...if you know anything concrete about arlo fixing all these 5s problems, I'd appreciate hearing it...thanks.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

UPDATE:
Just received this case update from arlo level 2 support.....incredible.

.....................................................................................................................................................

QUOTE / COPY FROM CASE UPDATE:

Your Case Details

Case Number: xxxxxxxxx

Product: VMC4050B

Case Update

Hi, xxxxxx,

Good day.

I have checked with our engineering, and there are no known issues so far with Pro5s.

Thank you for choosing Arlo.

Sincerely,

xxxxx

L2 Arlo-Care

Support Site - https://support.arlo.com

Community Site - https://community.arlo.com

If we do not receive a response from you within 7 days, your case will be automatically closed. Please contact Arlo Support if you have any questions.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS AUTOMATED EMAIL.Thanks,

Arlo Support

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@roundball I feel your pain. They don't care about stuffing their customers around. I had them finger point at my wifi/router/ISP for weeks on end, anything to take the focus off their own products.

Who was the support agent who said that? From an L2 as well. 

@BrookeN why is support lying to customers? Absolutely disgraceful conduct. 

AlixO
Guide
Guide

@BrookeN Can you please respond to my queries in this thread from 28 May? I’m still having issues with my Pro5 cameras missing events and sending motion notifications without recording. This is fast becoming a consumer law issue - our Pro5 cameras don’t work properly and aren’t fit for purpose. Arlo is not providing appropriate support or responses to customers. When will the new firmware be released and will it be an automatic update for all Pro5 cameras or do we all need to log requests with Arlo support to be updated? I haven’t logged any requests with Arlo yet on the basis of feedback in this thread - it’s clear that I’m likely to be told it’s my fault, rather than a product failure. It’s got nothing to do with circumstances on my end - I had 2 Essential Spotlight cameras in the exact position for a year without any issue. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, didn't think it was necessarily appropriate to publicize the L2 individual's name...

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Everyone within this thread has been moved to the field trial and it should be available by tomorrow morning, including you @roundball . Watch the Pro 5 throughout the day  tomorrow and see if the behavior you were seeing is resolved. If not please send me a DM and let me know what behavior you are still seeing.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 
Thank you for your efforts & communications to help improve this situation.
👌

Wondering how the trial firmware will be distributed ?

Will it be sent to all the 5s cameras on (my) support plan?

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

Just reading this. I have the same cameras with the same issue. My cameras also stopped sending notifications even when they record. Arlo support is in contact with me. But so far, their troubleshooting steps have not fixed my issues. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@-Gerbs are you getting notifications on your other cameras and just not the Pro 5?

@roundball yes that is correct. 

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

I have four 5s and they are not sending notifications. They were at first, then stopped. I got home today and the mounted one next to my garage only did snapshots.