Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
SmakMyBishup
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just got the arlo pro 5s 2k. I seen arlo sells base stations for the cameras. I know the base station is a secure way to connect the cameras ect ect. If I purchased either of the 2 base stations that use USB storage or mini sd card storage does this mitigate the subscription since you can record straight to the base station. Can you access the recordings on the base station from your cellphone or does this need a subscription. One last question is can you do CVR with the base station or does this require a subscription also. I just want to know how much money this is going to cost me vs buying a whole kit that has camera's and recording unit. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use of local storage without a subscription isn't the same as having cloud recordings. If considering this, I'd test while still having a subscription so you can make an informed decision. Access to the local recordings can be had by using the app (the web client won;t do this) but if you want access remotely you'll need to use port forwarding or a VPN to the router. That's due to the need to be seen as being on the local network which these methods provide.

CVR is a subscription-only capability and for good reason. Even with a 2TB drive (the largest drive supported), you'd rather quickly run out of storage. The sub provides cloud storage which is exponentially larger.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use of local storage without a subscription isn't the same as having cloud recordings. If considering this, I'd test while still having a subscription so you can make an informed decision. Access to the local recordings can be had by using the app (the web client won;t do this) but if you want access remotely you'll need to use port forwarding or a VPN to the router. That's due to the need to be seen as being on the local network which these methods provide.

CVR is a subscription-only capability and for good reason. Even with a 2TB drive (the largest drive supported), you'd rather quickly run out of storage. The sub provides cloud storage which is exponentially larger.

SmakMyBishup
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the detailed answer to my question, I appreciate it and your time.