Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

why do i need a subscription? recordings not appearing

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Arlouser051922
Guide
Guide

Can someone tell me why i have to register on a forum to get answers for a product?

I have to get answers for:

• Recordings
  • recordings not appearing
  • older cameras have recordings but new cameras do not
  • why do i need a subscription
  • on the box it does not say a subscription is needed

I can't even call your customer service number to get any answer. Using the chat is useless. I have had Arlo for years but never had issues until now. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Answers in green below:

1. Since i have an older plan why do i have some cameras that do cloud recording and some that don't? Legacy cameras came with 7 day cloud storage at no cost. Newer Arlo models require a subscription to save recordings to the cloud.
  2. Why doesn't Arlo offer cloud recording with newer camera's? Newer cameras offer additional cloud capabilities such as Arlo Smart alerts, activity zones, e911, etc. You can find more information on this here: https://kb.arlo.com/000056583/What-is-Arlo-Secure-and-how-can-I-benefit-from-it
  3. If cloud recoding is required why isn't listed in BIG BOLD lettering on the box? I had to actually go and look at the box and it was lettering so small i missed it. Subscription requirements are listed on the packaging, I will pass your feedback along to the product team on the locaiton and size and this label.
  4. What are the service plans? See here: https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-i...
  5. cancellation of said service plans. how does that work? Arlo subscription plans are paid on a monthly basis, you can cancel a plan at any time within your Arlo account by navigating to Settings > Subscription > Cancel Plan
  6. Does this company offer any military/veteran discounts? Reduced rates are available during specific promotional periods and events. If your account is eligible for a promotional rate, you will receive a notice via email and/or within the app.
  7. local recoding. What is the biggest memory card it will accept? Between 16gb and 2TB is the recommend size for storage devices: https://kb.arlo.com/1146857/How-do-I-set-up-local-storage-backups-on-a-USB-device-using-my-Arlo-Base...
  8. Will all camera go to local recoding? If local storage is enabled, all recordings for cameras synced to the base station or SmartHub can be saved locally.
  9. I have several older cameras and will there still be cloud recordings or will they go to local? Legacy cameras do not require a subscription for cloud recordings. If you have cameras that record to the cloud for 7 days, this has not changed.
  10. can i access my local recordings not on my home network? for example, i am sitting at a restaurant and i see my alert go off, will i be able to see that local recoding with my phone, like i do with cloud recordings? Direct Access to local storage can be set up using the following: https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it-for-Arlo-video-recor...

View solution in original post

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Answers in green below:

1. Since i have an older plan why do i have some cameras that do cloud recording and some that don't? Legacy cameras came with 7 day cloud storage at no cost. Newer Arlo models require a subscription to save recordings to the cloud.
    2. Why doesn't Arlo offer cloud recording with newer camera's? Newer cameras offer additional cloud capabilities such as Arlo Smart alerts, activity zones, e911, etc. You can find more information on this here: https://kb.arlo.com/000056583/What-is-Arlo-Secure-and-how-can-I-benefit-from-it
    3. If cloud recoding is required why isn't listed in BIG BOLD lettering on the box? I had to actually go and look at the box and it was lettering so small i missed it. Subscription requirements are listed on the packaging, I will pass your feedback along to the product team on the locaiton and size and this label.
    4. What are the service plans? See here: https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-is-available
    5. cancellation of said service plans. how does that work? Arlo subscription plans are paid on a monthly basis, you can cancel a plan at any time within your Arlo account by navigating to Settings > Subscription > Cancel Plan
    6. Does this company offer any military/veteran discounts? Reduced rates are available during specific promotional periods and events. If your account is eligible for a promotional rate, you will receive a notice via email and/or within the app.
    7. local recoding. What is the biggest memory card it will accept? Between 16gb and 2TB is the recommend size for storage devices: https://kb.arlo.com/1146857/How-do-I-set-up-local-storage-backups-on-a-USB-device-using-my-Arlo-Base-Station-or-SmartHub
    8. Will all camera go to local recoding? If local storage is enabled, all recordings for cameras synced to the base station or SmartHub can be saved locally.
    9. I have several older cameras and will there still be cloud recordings or will they go to local? Legacy cameras do not require a subscription for cloud recordings. If you have cameras that record to the cloud for 7 days, this has not changed.
    10. can i access my local recordings not on my home network? for example, i am sitting at a restaurant and i see my alert go off, will i be able to see that local recoding with my phone, like i do with cloud recordings? Direct Access to local storage can be set up using the following: https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it-for-Arlo-video-recordings

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlouser051922 wrote:

I suspect this is the real question.

Older cameras (for instance, the Arlo Pro and Pro 2) came with 7 days of free cloud storage. All the newer cameras (starting with the Ultra in 2018) require a subscription for cloud storage. 

The box should have a statement about the subscription (though technically it isn't absolutely required).  That statement might be hard to spot - where it is depends on exactly what camera you purchased.  FWIW, I think it is more prominent on the newer models.

If you have a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000), then your base supports direct access to local storage.   Since you put VMB5000 in the model field, I will assume you have that model base.

Direct Access to local storage allows you to access recordings stored on the smarthub from the app. https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it-for-Arlo-video-recor...  There are a number of limitations:

• Recordings are only available in the app, not the browser
  • Recordings are only available using the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • There is no ability to save manual recordings or snapshots.
  • There are no thumbnails
  • Remote access requires router configuration that some find difficult.  Also, it won't work with some ISPs - for example, Starlink and T-Mobile broadband

Also, the microSD card needs to be at least 16 GB.

Arlouser051922
Guide
Guide

StephenB,

I see you only answered part of my questions and avoided others.  Do you work for Arlo?  Does anyone on here work for Arlo?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlouser051922 wrote:

Do you work for Arlo? 

No.  This is mostly a user-to-user forum.

@Arlouser051922 wrote:

Does anyone on here work for Arlo?

Yes - there are two mods ( @JamesC and @ShayneS )  BTW, anyone from Arlo will have an Arlo logo next to their usernames in their posts.

@Arlouser051922 wrote:

I see you only answered part of my questions and avoided others. 

• Recordings
  • recordings not appearing
  • older cameras have recordings but new cameras do not

I think my answer addressed all the topics.  You either need a subscription for cloud storage (e.g., recordings) with newer cameras, or you need to use direct access to local storage.

If you have other questions on recording, you should ask them (and provide more clarity - just saying "recordings" isn't very useful).

Arlouser051922
Guide
Guide

So since nobody on here works for arlo and i have to "BUY" a subscription in order to talk to anyone in arlo doesn't that see a bit crappy? I can't just call someone and talk to them about products, product support, and pricing? IF YOU DON"T WORK FOR ARLO why don't you stop commenting on this!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is a peer to peer community. Users help other users here as well as receive assistance from Arlo moderators.

What further clarity to the above question are you seeking? Could you provide more details?

JamesC

Arlouser051922
Guide
Guide

First and foremost a customer should NEVER get on a forum to talk about support or pricing for a company's product. The should be able to get to a LIVE PERSON either over the chat or over the phone. I could not do either. The chat would NEVER connect me to a real live person.

1. Since i have an older plan why do i have some cameras that do cloud recording and some that don't?
  2. Why doesn't Arlo offer cloud recording with newer camera's?
  3. If cloud recoding is required why isn't listed in BIG BOLD lettering on the box? I had to actually go and look at the box and it was lettering so small i missed it.
  4. What are the service plans?
  5. cancellation of said service plans. how does that work?
  6. Does this company offer any military/veteran discounts?
  7. local recoding. What is the biggest memory card it will accept?
  8. Will all camera go to local recoding?
  9. I have several older cameras and will there still be cloud recordings or will they go to local?
  10. can i access my local recordings not on my home network? for example, i am sitting at a restaurant and i see my alert go off, will i be able to see that local recoding with my phone, like i do with cloud recordings?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Answers in green below:

4. What are the service plans? See here: https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-i...
  7. local recoding. What is the biggest memory card it will accept? Between 16gb and 2TB is the recommend size for storage devices: https://kb.arlo.com/1146857/How-do-I-set-up-local-storage-backups-on-a-USB-device-using-my-Arlo-Base...
  10. can i access my local recordings not on my home network? for example, i am sitting at a restaurant and i see my alert go off, will i be able to see that local recoding with my phone, like i do with cloud recordings? Direct Access to local storage can be set up using the following: https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it-for-Arlo-video-recor...
Arlouser051922
Guide
Guide

Thank you for the response. I will accept it as a solution. I will say lastly that a customer should NOT have to jump on a forum to get answers from someone in Arlo. I should NOT have to have a paid subscription to talk to an Arlo representative. This whole way of "helping" the customer is NOT helpful.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation