Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been trying to set up systems at my 2 houses, miles apart. I was told that I could set up a local wireless connection to 2 different routers.  In this process I was told that the Arlo Secure service would best serve me, using the 2 locations together.  One concern I have had is that I notice if I change something at one location it changes the setup at both locations.  I have 2 cameras (Pro 4) at each location.  I also have 1 inside Essential wired camera at 1 of my locations.  It now has been presented to me that a base station or a hub would be a better setup for varied reasons; local storage, linkage to camera light as well siren setup.  Any advice you have would be appreciated.

32 REPLIES 32
stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant

Android  vers 14

stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant

I very much appreciate the tech support.  Are you an employee or contractor for Arlo?  I have spent way too much time trying to resolve several issues.  My needs are pretty simple and I am concerned that the ARLO products are not what I need.  Let's try and get these light turn-on issues solved and I can move on.

stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was able to delete the app and reinstalled it.  But now the following process does not work.

Within the app on your phone go under Routines from there Click either ARM AWAY, ARM HOME or STANDBY whichever one you are using, Then you will click on Add device Rules. Click on the device that you are wanting to add the rules to and click save. Then click on the device you just added. From there you can add actions. Under the add action you should see different options and one should be turn on light. 

I will wait for someone in escalated tech support to call me.  I am running out of patience and hope this can be resolved soon.  If not I must say I will be looking to return these items either to Arlo or Amazon as that is where I bought it from.  Very Very frustrated.

It might make sense to try and talk on the phone as I work through your recommendations.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stcbalke wrote:

I have done what you suggested.  After I select color in night vision it still does not give me the option to have a light come on when motion is detected.  I think I have my camera set to record, but maybe I don't and this is the problem.  Can you help please.  Sorry this is taking so long.  Very frustrating for me!

Backing up to this post...

If color is turned on in nightvision, the spotlight will come on automatically at night when motion is detected and the camera records.  There is no need to make any other setting changes in the various modes.  

But the camera does need to be set to record. 

Have you tried making this change, and then see what happens at night (or in a dark room) when you walk into the camera's field of view?  You can then easily see if the camera is 

1. set to record when motion is detected
  2. whether the spotlight turns on (or not).

@BrookeN works for Arlo; I do not.  Arlo employees who post here all have an Arlo badge in their posts.

stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant

You may have solved the problem or  might you say "my understanding".  I was under the impression that I needed to select a light to come on, specific to this camera.  It works as you suggested.  

Now that I have your assistance I have a couple of other questions.

I have 2 locations (different cities) and I want at this time 1 camera at each location.  Right now they are under 1 service program (secure unlimited cameras) for $12.99.  It has been suggested that I have 2 separate service programs, 1 for each location.  I am told this would be $7.99 for each location....... correct?  For the 2 locations can I add another device (camera) at a later time under the same program?   At this time I only need 1 camera at each but if all goes well I might add a camera at each location. 

I also have a Essential mobile wired camera.  Can I use this at either location given the details I have provided.

Thanks a bunch!  I want to be an Arlo customer but I was beginning to rethink this.  I hope you can answer my latest questions above and we will be on our way.  Thanks again for being patient with me.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stcbalke wrote:

I have 2 locations (different cities) and I want at this time 1 camera at each location.  Right now they are under 1 service program (secure unlimited cameras) for $12.99.  It has been suggested that I have 2 separate service programs, 1 for each location.  I am told this would be $7.99 for each location....... correct? 

You do need subscriptions for each location.  Single camera subscriptions would be $7.99 each at current US prices. So this is correct.

You could save some money if you get the annual subscription, but I wouldn't recommend doing that until you get everything set up the way you want. 

That's because Arlo won't refund if you cancel.  Instead, the subscription continues until the start of the next billing period.  The amount you save with the annual payment is only about $0.50 per subscription per month, so IMO not very compelling.

@stcbalke wrote:

I also have a Essential mobile wired camera.  Can I use this at either location given the details I have provided.

Not sure what model you are talking about.  Do you mean the Go 2 camera (which connects to mobile/cellular data)?  Or something else?

As far as the single camera subscriptions go, I think there would be some friction if you want to move a camera from one location to another frequently.  I think you'd need to cancel the subscription at the starting location and then resubscribe at the new one.  I'm tagging the mods ( @JamesC , @BrookeN , @ShayneS ), in hopes they will comment.  

With the unlimited plans, you could easily remove the camera from the subscription in one location and then add it to the other subscription. 

Another option that should work would be to set up a third "fake" location for the camera you want to move.  Then you'd have separate controls for that "location" for armed home and armed away. 

stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant

My responses to your suggestions

Not sure what model you are talking about.  Do you mean the Go 2 camera (which connects to mobile/cellular data)?  Or something else?  The camera I am referring to is the Arlo Indoor Essential mobile camera.

As far as the single camera subscriptions go, I think there would be some friction if you want to move a camera from one location to another frequently.  I think you'd need to cancel the subscription at the starting location and then resubscribe at the new one.  I'm tagging the mods ( @JamesC , @BrookeN , @ShayneS ), in hopes they will comment.  I would not move the camera frequently.  I may want to use it seasonally, meaning 1 of my locations is a vacation home where we are seasonal users.  The question I guess better stated; can I add a camera or other device?

With the unlimited plans, you could easily remove the camera from the subscription in one location and then add it to the other subscription. 

Another option that should work would be to set up a third "fake" location for the camera you want to move.  Then you'd have separate controls for that "location" for armed home and armed away.  So in this case would I have 3 single locations at $7.99 per month for each?  Or could I have 3 separate locations and multiple devices at each at a reduced price?  Also, could I control all the devices independently of each other?  Or could I control all devices at each location, not independent of each other?

Again, I very much appreciate your assistance.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stcbalke wrote:

The camera I am referring to is the Arlo Indoor Essential mobile camera.

There is no mobile in the name, which is why I was confused.

@stcbalke wrote:

I would not move the camera frequently.  I may want to use it seasonally, meaning 1 of my locations is a vacation home where we are seasonal users.  The question I guess better stated; can I add a camera or other device?

You can certainly move the camera to another location

The question I can't answer is whether a single-camera subscription would stay with the camera or not.  That was why I tagged the mods.

@stcbalke wrote:

Another option that should work would be to set up a third "fake" location for the camera you want to move.  Then you'd have separate controls for that "location" for armed home and armed away.  So in this case would I have 3 single locations at $7.99 per month for each?  Or could I have 3 separate locations and multiple devices at each at a reduced price?  Also, could I control all the devices independently of each other?  Or could I control all devices at each location, not independent of each other?

Three single camera subscriptions in this scenario.

Each location would have three modes (Armed Home, Armed Away, Standby), which would control all the cameras in that location.  So with one camera in each location you would have full control over each camera, but no ability to control all cameras together.

If you want to control the cameras in either location together, you couldn't use this approach.  You'd instead need to use just two locations and move the indoor camera to the appropriate location when you shift residences.

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation