Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
gwar9999
Guide
Guide

Hello, 

This morning 2 of my cameras claim they are not connected to and the 3rd "the device failed to connect".  My firewall shows that all 3 are connected and my internet is just fine (considering I'm posting this from the same network).  There have been no changes to the firewall since the Arlo's were installed so this appears to be related to the 3 Arlo 4 cameras that have been problematic since installed last mon

6 REPLIES 6
gwar9999
Guide
Guide

... attached a screenshot from my firewall appliance (Untangle) that clearly shows the 3 arlo cameras are connected at this time (based on the "last seen" column)

gwar9999
Guide
Guide

... firewall activity shows all 3 Arlo 4 cameras are "phoning home" to the Arlo servers.

gwar9999
Guide
Guide

actually, are Arlo's servers even up?  Looks like the cameras are trying to connect to deviceapi.messaging.arlo.com

$ ping deviceapi.messaging.arlo.com
PING deviceapi-Production-lb-248937321.eu-west-1.elb.amazonaws.com (52.19.111.54) 56(84) bytes of data.

^C
--- deviceapi-Production-lb-248937321.eu-west-1.elb.amazonaws.com ping statistics ---
93 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 93985ms

(edited: looks like the aws load balancer blocks ICMP traffic so that explains ping failing).   

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you rebooted your phone and reinstalled the app? Have you tried WiFi and cell service? Have you tried the web client? You can also try popping the battery out of a camera to see if that makes a difference.

gwar9999
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the reply. 

No I didn't restart my phone considering the same thing happened on Android, iOS and the web.  After at least 45 minutes (hard to say when it first started since we only decided to look when someone went outside and there were no notifications) however things started mysteriously working again without me doing anything.  My WIFI was up the entire time, my internet was up the entire time, my other IoT devices (Sonos, Hue, Harmony, Kaza, etc) all worked properly while only Arlo reported the connection issues .  I opened a support case with Arlo since this was not the first time I observed this behavior and I would like to understand the cause.

jwood1
Star
Star

I too have had similar issues (I posted this on another thread also).   One of my Pro4 cameras (directly connected, no hub) showed as being offline and not connected, but it continued to record motion and upload videos to the cloud.  The videos appeared in my library.  It is not the phone or app, the same issue appears on my PC.  Internet connection strong, battery fully charged.  The other issue, as stated by the OP, is that sometimes it only takes 5-10 secs to view the camera, other times it will buffer for several minutes. 

As stated on the other thread, why can't these cameras automatically re-connect?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation