Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why Arlo does not support NAS

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
MiataMx5
Tutor
Tutor

Wondering why Arlo does not support this feature? Already have a smart hub but a poor port forwarding function, and poor local storage function, so I purchased a NAS as a local hard drive to storage footprint, but unfortunately, everything is impossible. Force you to subscribe. FK Arlo, totally rubbish.

4 REPLIES 4
Dannybear
Master
Master

Get your money back for the NAS and spend it on a subscription.

MiataMx5
Tutor
Tutor

NAS is necessary for home file sharing but a subscription is not.

Dannybear
Master
Master

I have a NAS myself for my own use to share across home network devices. I can’t say what advantages there are to having it attached to the arlo system, it has been reliable for the last eight years so I would like it to remain that way.

If you need to share arlo recordings with other members in the home you can grant them access to the cloud library via their own device or web portal browser. Subscription required obviously.

If the intent is to archive you can do that with a USB storage device on the base station. While the subscription gives you 30days cloud recordings the base storage is retained until it runs out of space, 16GB stick gives me about 3 months.

If your afraid of arlo having your credit card, like me, you can upgrade the Base station to a VMB4540 unit to give you direct storage access to the admin login on a mobile app only, very basic and gross to be honest from what the limitations listed are.

You could also look around for the arlo pro2 discontinued model, 1080p, free 7days cloud library. The 2k and 4K Cameras are no better than 1080p with motion anyway. They just make lovely pictures to put on the wall in my opinion.

Anyway maybe arlo will release their own NAS at a future date.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any NAS I can think, at least for home, only have a USB input port for the purpose of copying files from a drive to the NAS. Thus, it can't be used as a direct storage device for Arlo. Arlo would have to support storage to a network device which is a whole 'nuther can o' worms.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation