Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
drphilosopher
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I'm new to Arlo. I'm taking over a system that my son originally setup, so some of the freebies may have expired. I also don't have a subscription so subscription dependent features might not work. However, I don't think my problem is related to any of those factors.

I have a VMB4540 Arlo Pro Smart Hub, 3 Arlo Pro 4 Cameras, and a doorbell. I can provide more details if required. 

I initially downloaded and installed the Arlo Secure App on my phone, version 4.3.5_28531, and started adding cameras to my system. Then, when I realized that video was not being stored on the smart hub, I went back, factory reset the hub, added it to the system and re-added all the cameras and doorbell to the system so they would store video clips on the usb stick plugged into the hub.

Initially, when the cameras were connected directly to the WIFI router, whenever events were detected, I would receive an audible notification on my phone and a video would show up in the feed. However, after adding the smart hub, although I still receive a notification in the form of an audible ping, the videos no longer show up on my phone. The videos are still being stored on the hub, so the system is sort of working, but I can't see what is going on remotely which sort of defeats the purpose of a security system.

I should mention that the tabs at the bottom of my Arlo Secure app are: Dashboard, Feed, Emergency, Devices, and Routines. My understanding is that some earlier versions of the app have a Library tab at the bottom of the display, but my app doesn't have that so articles that mention the Library tab aren't helping me.

I configured my system as a Library system rather than a Feed system, so perhaps that is the problem. However, the articles I've seen state that the VMB4540 should be configured as a Library system.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@drphilosopher wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

@drphilosopher wrote:

My understanding is that some earlier versions of the app have a Library tab at the bottom of the display, but my app doesn't have that so articles that mention the Library tab aren't helping me.

I configured my system as a Library system rather than a Feed system, so perhaps that is the problem.

I'm confused on these two statements (which are contradictory).  What choices are you seeing at the bottom of the app screen?

The choices I am seeing are: "Dashboard", "Feed", "Emergency", "Devices", and "Routines".

Then your system is configured as "Feed" and not "Library".  Were you meaning to say that you used to use "Library", and then migrated to "Feed"???

There are instructions for Feed here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062997

1. Tap Devices.
  2. Select your Arlo SmartHub.
  3. Tap the settings wheel
  4. Tap Storage Settings to view the last 30 days of video recordings.

Are you seeing recordings when you do this?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@drphilosopher wrote:

My understanding is that some earlier versions of the app have a Library tab at the bottom of the display, but my app doesn't have that so articles that mention the Library tab aren't helping me.

I configured my system as a Library system rather than a Feed system, so perhaps that is the problem.

I'm confused on these two statements (which are contradictory).  What choices are you seeing at the bottom of the app screen?

drphilosopher
Tutor
Tutor

The choices I am seeing are: "Dashboard", "Feed", "Emergency", "Devices", and "Routines".

drphilosopher
Tutor
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

@drphilosopher wrote:

drphilosopher
Tutor
Tutor

Update: I found this in the instructions: "Note: You must remove your Arlo device from your account and reinstall it to switch your Arlo device from a direct to Wi-Fi connection to an Arlo SmartHub or Base Station connection."

So, I'll probably have to delete all my devices including the Smart Hub and start over, but it's still unclear to me whether I should configure the system as "Feed" or "Library".

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@drphilosopher wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

@drphilosopher wrote:

Then your system is configured as "Feed" and not "Library".  Were you meaning to say that you used to use "Library", and then migrated to "Feed"???

1. Tap Devices.

drphilosopher
Tutor
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

@drphilosopher wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

@drphilosopher wrote:

1. Tap Devices.

I'm going to accept the quoted answer as the solution because following the directions allowed me to access the video clips stored on my Smart Hub. Thanks! However, I'm still confused about some things. I never intentionally migrated my system to Feed and every time I set up a device on my system, I consciously followed the directions for Library and not for Feed, so I don't understand how I ended up with a Feed setup. But, hey, as long as it works, who am I to complain? /rhetorical

Thanks again.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation