Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Using local storage on SmartHub 4540

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
CuJoe
Guide
Guide

Just purchased the Arlo Pro4 and want to use local storage when my Arlo Smart trial runs out. So,  I've ordered the Smart hub 4540.

Will I be able to access the files in my local storage library via the Arlo app on my phone and via the web page?

Also, does anyone know if the USB port on the hub is 3.0? I haven't found any info on this anywhere.

Also haven't seen any recommendations on throughput for the flash drive. Anyone had any issues using a flash drive with 100Mb/s?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You will be able to view local recordings via the app but not a web browser (don't know if that will ever be possible). 

The port is USB2.x which is all that's needed given the data rates used for the videos. USB3.x would just add cost with no extra benefit. A USB3.x device will work fine on the port.

CuJoe
Guide
Guide

So, in order to view video on my W10 desktop, I'll need to pull the drive from the hub and plug it into my computer? W10 should be able to view the files in FAT32 format I believe(?).

The reason i was concerned about throughput is that I've been having contention issues with notifications to my Android phone when motion is detected on Pro 4 camera. Didn't have this problem with Pro 2. Arlo support said is was because there's - essentially - too much traffic on the 2.4G band on my router and notifications were being blocked/rejected/whatever. Very disappointed with the Pro 4 system so far.

So, I ordered the hub to hopefully get all notifications. Also, I put my phone back to the 5G band and started getting more notifications. During the "Add device" process, Arlo instructed me to set my phone to 2.4G - but I was able to put it back to 5G and still access and control the camera and library. Why don't they tell you that after device has been added?!

Anyway, thanks for responding so fast and I would appreciate any comment you might have about my response.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Safely ejecting the drive from the hub will allow you to see the videos on W10 with no problem. However, they're not named or organized like you would see in the app so you have to check the timestamp and serial numbers to figure out what you're looking at. 

Congestion on the 2.4GHz band will always be a problem. The best thing to do is to move as many devices as possible to 5GHz but that assumes the neighbors' networks aren't also part of the problem.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation