Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

Hello! 

I am trying to add my wife’s email account and iPhone device so she can see our cameras.  We have tried all the setup processes that were listed in other emails in the support community - but it does not work at all. 

Here is what we’ve done:

• Created the account on the my.arlo.com website.
  • Add her access via the Arlo App - granting access to her email address and account.
  • Downloaded the Arlo Secure app on her iphone.
  • Opened the email on her iphone so she could accept the access.
  • She accepted the grant of access.
  • Went back to my iPad (Arlo App) to confirm - it now shows “Accepted”

This is where it all goes bad.  Her iPhone does not show any cameras or recordings.  HOWEVER, she is getting notifications that they are occuring.  We have tried logging out and logging back in and it does not good.

What is going on with the app?

Also, why the new user interface on this Arlo app that was downloaded - vs. the one that we have always been using (which seems to work)?

Please let us know what to do - otherwise I’ll have to let her use my access (which I don’t want to do).

Thank you!

-Bob

10 REPLIES 10
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

To spare you a lot of tripe about arlo’s Ui Experience, you will need to upgrade your account to look the same.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062798/How-do-I-upgrade-my-Arlo-Secure-App-4-0-to-the-new-experience 

rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

What does the new UI do that is different on iOS?  And why is that affecting my wife’s inability to connect to the cameras on her iPhone?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not an iOS thang - it's about how the Arlo security system is integrated. WHile things are shifted around and there's a whole new look/feel, the most important difference is that any custom modes don't get migrated - you have to use the 3 default modes to do what you need. That's because the security hub only supports the 3 modes (Standby, Arm Home and Arm Away) with  the 3 buttons on it.

The need for all phones to be using the same user interface (UI) is at least partly due to the changes - the old (3.x) UI that uses Library to view recordings doesn't support the security system as well as any new cameras starting with the Pro 5s. Eventually, everyone will get migrated to the new UI so getting a head start on use of  the new UI will likely be useful so you get through the changes (pain?) ahead of time.

rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

Ok.  makes sense.  However, is the process of securing the new version for me to do a download?  She did it and got the new UI (and no cameras shown).  I still can only download the old version…. And the AppStore does not have the update in there.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rmonio wrote:

Ok.  makes sense.  However, is the process of securing the new version for me to do a download?  

No, the current app supports both user interfaces.

Instructions are here:

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

If you try adding the pro5 camera it will require you to upgrade to the new UI experience. Then back out since you don’t have one.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

If you try adding the pro5 camera it will require you to upgrade to the new UI experience. Then back out since you don’t have one.

Yes, that should also migrate your account to "Feed".

rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

I don’t have a Pro5 camera, though..  my other question was in relation to the dual-band capabilities.

My setup consists of 5 Pro 4’s and 3 Pro 4XL’s.  The XL’s were bought at Costco originally and I’ve been adding the other Pro 4’s.

So how does that change my situation for having the right version?

(sorry for the confusion).

-Bob

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

At the moment arlo has not initiated the UI update across all customers. The new UI still has bugs and functionality deficiencies so a blanket rollout might be another 12 months away yet. 

For pro5 customers the older UI will not work so when they add the camera they are required to update to the new UI before they can add the camera.

This is a suggested workaround to force the update to happen for the older UI customer.

Once you make the update happen you can then cancel the process to install the pro5 camera since you don’t have one. I.e. add new device, select cameras, select pro series, choose pro5s, continue to update UI.

Be aware to cannot go back once the new UI update has been changed.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rmonio wrote:

I don’t have a Pro5 camera, though..  my other question was in relation to the dual-band capabilities.

While you can't actually complete adding the Pro 5s, the attempt will migrate your account to Feed.  

That would resolve the issue of the friend account getting notifications, but not being able to see the videos.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation