Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
ptmuldoon
Follower
Follower

I recently purchased a 3 camera kit of the Arlo Pro 4 with the Total Security Mounts, and now I'm 2nd guessing myself and may be returning them.  I'm hoping someone can help confirm for me.

The total security mounts can not be removed correct?  And from what I can tell these mount don't appear to work well for ceiling or exterior soffit mounts and able to get a 90 degree angle.  

I also purchased a few skins on Amazon that are reportedly compatible with the Arlo Pro 4, but I can't see how those will work with Total Security mounts since you can't remove the mount to put them on.

I see there are options to purchase different housing, but I have not found any info or image to be able to tell which housing are magnetic or which one's have the ability to screw in a mount to them.

I feel its counter productive to buy a new 3 camera kit to then only have to also purchase additional new housing and mounts.  So my new 3 camera kit is still in the box, and will likely get returned and maybe pickup a 2 camera kit that has the magnetic housing and mounts?  Can you use the magnetic housings with a separate screw in mount?  Or are the magnetic housings only good with the magnetic mounts?  Do any of the mounts work with both the magnetic and screw in mounts?

Thanks for any help and feedback

PT

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ptmuldoon wrote:

The total security mounts can not be removed correct? 

They can be.  There should be a wrench included that lets you remove the camera from the mount.  If not, you can get away with a correctly sized allen wrench.

@ptmuldoon wrote:

I see there are options to purchase different housing, but I have not found any info or image to be able to tell which housing are magnetic

The standard size housing allows for either magnetic or screw thread.  The XL housing is screw-thread only (it's too heavy for the magnetic mount).

If you want right-angle then you will need to use a screw mount.  It doesn't need to be from Arlo, as the screw thread is standard.

honestly
Initiate
Initiate

The Total Security Mounts are NOT Total Secure Mounts so do not fool yourself at this point that they can not steal the camera, and housing by unscrewing the camera housing securing screw and leaving behind the secure section and the wall mount.  The system comes in 4 pieces. 

1) The wall mount (that allows the security crew unit lock into that)

2) The security screw piece that locks into the wall mount.

3) The large screw with ridges for grip to tighten down the ball mount that is attached to the casing.

4) The ball mount and camera casing as this is one unit.

There is nothing securing the screw that locks down the ball joint to keep the camera in place attached to the security mount. The security screw is also a basic allen wrench which could delay a person but once the size is known, no big deal.

Arlo needs to redevelop their Total Secure Mount if they want it to live up to its name.

honestly
Initiate
Initiate

An allen wrench is supplied to lock the secondary piece to the wall mount.

BUT! The next piece is the 'bolt' that locks down the camera's ball joint to the security piece. but the problem here is that the ball joint screw is not secured to anything. So anyone can unscrew it and walk away with your camera and housing. 

The camera can also be secured to the casing with this allen wrench (I don't see how, but my equipment is for a vacation home I need to get to, to learn this).  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Security is a relative term. You could have a beefy metal mount with a metal-cased camera bolted to your house but someone with enough desire can manage to defeat your efforts. The security mount is relative to the magnetic or threaded mounts which would slow down the person but not eliminate any possibilities.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Security is a relative term. 

I agree, and a can of spray paint (or a paintball gun) would disable the camera with any mount.

That said, "the Total Security Mount" branding does set unmet expectations. 

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation