Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
Dxcorbett
Follower
Follower

The security key fits the screw on the camera, but doesn’t fit the set screw on the mounting bracket.

13 REPLIES 13
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dxcorbett,

Could you provide more details? Are you referring to the total security mount shown here: How do I use my Arlo Total Security Mount?

JamesC

Vhdelacruz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello. I just bought this for my mother and was excited to install it for her but got stumped with the last step. The security key to unlock the camera for the battery does not fit the screw to put the camera on the mount base. I tried metric and standard hex keys and cannot find one that fits. I’m getting ready to return this since I need to get this installed in the next couple of days while visiting and before heading back home. Thank you- Victor
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Vhdelacruz,

Could you provide a picture of the key and screw to which you are referring?

JamesC

NTee
Initiate
Initiate

Did you find a solution?  We ran into the exact same issue today.  I am on hold with tech support right now.  Ours is the three camera kit purchased from Best Buy in Canada.  It came with security style mounts, not magnetic mounts that most of the online videos show

NTee
Initiate
Initiate

Here is a cropped image - the mount is shown on the left, the camera on the right.  The set screw that tightens the mount to the wall plate requires a larger allen key than the factory security key.  A friend with a full set of standard and metric keys could not get anything to fit the set screw.  It is between 2 and 2.5 mm, and I can't recall what the standard sizes that he had were.

Tech has asked me to send a video showing them the problem

IMG_20210809_1502564.jpg

pigforest
Initiate
Initiate

I just got the Ultra 2 package from Costco and I have the same problem.  The security key can unlock the camera housing, but it doesn't fit the screw on the total security mount.

pigforest
Initiate
Initiate

I called customer support today and found the solution.  For the screw on the mount, the key needs to be inserted at an angle, not straight in as normal screws.  It took a few tries, I did find the angle at which the screw turns.  I was afraid of ruining the screw or the key if I forced it, but eventually I did find the right angle without having to force it.  Hope this helps.

sceniclife
Tutor
Tutor

@JamesC 

The article you provided, How do I use my Arlo Total Security Mount is unclear.

As answered in the posts in this thread, the allen screw size IS different sizes... if the security key goes directly straight/perpendicular into the screw. However the screw will work if you place it like the image.

Place the back onto a wall or surface that is flat (like the wall where it is mounted). Then, keep the security key parallel to the wall - so that it goes into the screw at an angle. This is the angle to use the screw.

Why can't you just use the same size screw? 😕

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Mine doesn't either. Fits the one, not the other. I'm going to go through all my allen keys and see if I can find one that fits the screw on the mount. What's with that?  New Arlo owner. Not all that impressed so far. 86

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I finally discovered the replies in this thread. I decided later the security pin does not need to be too tight so I figured using it on an angle prevents one from trying to tighten it too much and stripping it. It doesn't need to be tight, just wound in enough to pin the opening in the mounting plate.  86

jhtc47
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip.  I had the same issue.  Don't know why they couldn't just make the screws the same size.

briand22
Tutor
Tutor
I ended up using a T9 bit. I could never get the security key to work properly.
PeterS602
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same issue. Inserting the key at an angle worked for me.  It's a wonky solution but at least I could tighten the screw. 

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation