Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Static and chipping sounds

Discussion stats
desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice

2 of the 3 Pro 4 cameras are making static and chirping sounds just after 2 weeks of having these cameras. One is battery powered and the other plugged in. The other Pro 4 is flawless and the Pro 720p are also flawless. Tech support had no answers or a fix for me. Hopefully the community and/or tech support here can help. Thanks.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

pc2k17,

If you feel your camera is defective or has a hardware issue, I encourage you to reach out to support using the Arlo Secure mobile app under Settings > Support and open a ticket to further investigate the issue.

JamesC

44 REPLIES 44
DeeMo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi desertrat1981, I just got my cameras a few day ago and have the same problem.  The first day they worked fine, then this morning we noticed the cracking static NOISE.  I will try and talk to support but I may have to do an exchange.   

DrSkorzy
Initiate
Initiate

Having the same issues with new Pro 4s.  They often make a cyclical "chirping" or "clicking" noise with static. The chirping is definitely on a frequency. They do this randomly and the time it lasts is random as well. I check into my camera live view and sometimes they sound normal, sometimes they click. No pattern detected.

I did save a 8 second video clip that well captures the issue.

It's pretty annoying and I'm holding off replacing my four other older cameras... if at all.. until I can find a solution.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DrSkorzy,

If you move the cameras to a different location as a test, are you able to replicate the issue?

JamesC

DrSkorzy
Initiate
Initiate

I moved the cameras around and they still do it. When running on battery or with the solar chargers.  There's no other electronics near them to create RFI.  What's puzzling is that the cameras do it sometimes and sometimes not. It seems that four of my six Pro 4s do this, and two haven't made the noise yet.  I've got the XL and "regular" cameras and they both do the noise.  No consistency between the weather, time of day or temperatures.  Its mostly prevalent on Live View but fades a bit when "real" noises are being generated outside.  My guess is there's some sort of internal RFI with these camera causing this in some units. It's frustrating.

GDRMO
Tutor
Tutor

I just purchased 6 of the Arlo Pro 4 cameras and all of them randomly make the chirping and static noise on live stream and recordings as DrSkorzy describes. A couple of them tend to make the noise more often than the other 4. Has anyone come up with an explanation or solution to this issue?

GDRMO
Tutor
Tutor

All 6 of these cameras are connected to a VMB4000 Base Station along with a Pro 2 camera. I replaced 4 other Pro 2 cameras that never made this noise and the one that is still connected has clear audio. 

Pnuthed
Initiate
Initiate

Same chirping sound on 2 of 3 cameras on a 1 second frequency. Any fix yet from tech support?

sferros
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too am experiencing this with all of my (3) Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight cameras. My Arlo Ultra 2 cameras do not do this. I’d like to know about a fix for this. I want the microphone left on as I want sound with my video. 

Trailblazer61
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 3 Arlo pro4s and 2 make the chirping noise.  I have tried switching batteries and no long term change. 1 was making the noise and 2 of the three are.  Very frustrating.  No noise outside the camera either.

ChloeCap
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo Pro 4 also does the same thing so I exchanged it and the new one still does it...

GDRMO
Tutor
Tutor

I returned the Pro 4 cameras and purchased Ultra 2s. No audio issues now.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I recently bought three Pro 4 cameras and have the static and chirping noise on two of them. One is fine. I thought maybe location, tried moving the camera and the base, no help. One of the Pro 4 is in the exact same location as a Pro 2 that it replaced. The Pro 2 had no audio issues, but the Pro 4 does.

I see this issue has been around for at least a year. Seems like a firmware issue to me. If Ultra 2's work fine, and they can't fix this audio issue on the Pro 4's, maybe arlo should give free upgrades to ultra 2's for anyone with the issue?

Any idea when arlo will fix this issue or if there is anything I can do to fix?

ChloeCap
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good idea GDRMO... too late for me to do that.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Any update on this issue? This obvious firmware or hardware issue has been going on for over a year. Why has this issue not been fixed? Why are Pro 4 cameras still being sold if there is an obvious flaw in the firmware or hardware? I would have never bought the Pro 4's if Arlo was honest and said there was a problem. How do I get this issue resolved?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

pc2k17,

If you feel your camera is defective or has a hardware issue, I encourage you to reach out to support using the Arlo Secure mobile app under Settings > Support and open a ticket to further investigate the issue.

JamesC

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I don't know if my cameras are defective or not, I really think it's either a design flaw or a firmware issue. I am very familiar with the arlo cameras and all the issues they had over the years. I've had mine since 2017 and I was even in the beta program at one time. In 2020 I switched to a different brand with higher quality cameras, but their software is lacking so I decided to give arlo another chance and got a package deal on this past black friday only to have immediate problems. It's like I went back to 2018.

I see another person in this thread exchanged his and the issue remained, but I guess I'll try support. Hopefully they are better than they used to be. Before 2020 it was just about the worst support in the industry. Hopefully they'll exchange them or give me a different model without the issue for no cost. Thanks.

shizam76
Star
Star

My 4 outdoor cams went in last month and they didn't have this issue.  Now, all my cams have this crackle.  Live or event recordings.  These cams have been a nightmare from the beginning.  Ready to rip them out of the masonry and return them!

Mammoth670
Guide
Guide

I have 4 cameras 

I know for a fact 3 of them are doing this..  I enabled audio again on the 4th to see what is going on.

I do not get a lot of activity in the back of my house.  but last night they replaced the electric meter.   the sound was so bad I could not hear their conversation, and they were less that 5 feet from the camera the entire time.    I would like a solution to this, as these cameras were not cheap(still under a warranty until the end of next week) and I am paying the monthly fee for the Arlo Smart 

I cycle the batteries each time one of the indoor batteries get Low and move them to the outside camera which is plugged into an authentic Arlo charger.   swapping  battery doesn't change anything 

I just donated at least 3 video's of the 10 minute meter change.   maybe that will go to someone who can help?

BBQ-Clay
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just added 2 arlo pro 4 cameras to my VMB4000 base. I also have the noise and my old PRO 2 cameras still work fine. Is this going to be fixed or do I send them back?  Once in a while the audio is clear and I have uninstalled, changed location, crossed my fingers and chatted with support. It is obvious this is an issue and it would be nice to know it will be fixed.

BBQ-Clay
Aspirant
Aspirant
Krieger0311
Guide
Guide

Same issue here. I bought 2 Arlo Pro 4's in December- one is used at my business over wifi, and one at home connected to my base station. The one connected to the base station has the ridiculous chirping noises. How many threads will there be before Arlo support fixes this?

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Mine are connected to a base as well. I doubt arlo devs or support will ever address this let alone fix the issue. They simple aren't capable of fixing it. Their devs and support know their 2nd rate and they know their limitations. Fixing this issue is beyond their capabilities.

BBQ-Clay
Aspirant
Aspirant

Now we are being told it is normal. I hear the noise on almost every event.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062698/Why-do-I-hear-a-clicking-sound-on-my-Arlo-camera#:~:text=It%20is%20nor....

Mammoth670
Guide
Guide

@BBQ-Clay 

i believe you are having a separate issue, and yes mine do make sounds from the camera as well 

this thread is about playback or listening to previous recordings in the cloud 

Discussion stats