Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Noelly1313
Guide
Guide

Hi all.  This post is from Australia.  We have solar panels maintaining the batteries on our Arlo Pro 4 cameras, and want to know if anyone else has seen this problem.  A couple of weeks ago we noticed our panels were not maintaining the batteries in our cameras.  On closer inspection, we have found that the solar panels have cracked on top.  Is this an issue with how these are built?  The panels are out of warranty, and it seems not very good sense to have to purchase new solar panels (near 100 dollars per panel, in our case 4 panels) every year or so to keep these cameras going on top of the subscription costs and over a thousand dollars to purchase the cameras to begin with for security.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Is this a wider problem with their product?

12 REPLIES 12
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Have you had any hail recently?

Noelly1313
Guide
Guide

No, no hail here. I have never seen hail here. All four panels have cracked, even the new one which has been installed (as per photo). This is not hail damage.

20221229_084428.jpg

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I have to wait until a moderator approves the attached photo before I can see it unfortunately.

Noelly1313
Guide
Guide

No worries mate. It looks as though they have cracked due to heat stress. Maybe they're not designed for Australian conditions, I don't know, but ambient temperature rarely exceeds 35 degrees celcius, well within the ranges specified for this product. This is a picture of the new panel we installed only about 10 months ago. Zoom in to the middle of the panel, you'll see a crack forming. (I understand we have to wait for this to be approved as well before you can see it.)

20221229_083526.jpg

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The photos have been approved but they lack detail of the cracks, maybe a zoomed in photo if possible although not really needed.

I have seen prior reports of the panels getting water ingress, maybe with the winter frosts you could get expansion causing the cracks.

I don’t expect many manufacturers consider design for Australian conditions especially cockatoos.

Noelly1313
Guide
Guide

This is the crack developing in the solar panel. Not sure if you'll see it properly, it is the best I could do.

20221229_141430.jpg

Noelly1313
Guide
Guide

We don't really get frost here. Only as low as around 10 degree celcius, to around 35 degrees throughout the year.

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Noelly1313 

I am in Queensland.  Solar Panels have 2 Year Warranty in Australia even though it says on some sites it is 1 year; Arlo has confirmed this to me.    JB HI-FI gave me full refund today actually and said I was covered.  My Panels I bought in September 2021.  My problem is not cracking but not working since the last firmware update they did back on 15 November 2022.  
I got sick of Arlo Support not fixing it and bit the bullet and had my Cameras hardwired to my home and returned the Panels and got a full refund.
There is a large post here on Arlo Community Forum about Solar Panels not charging Battery.  Here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-4/Arlo-4-Pro-Cameras-using-Solar-Issue/m-p/1886226#M6473

Noelly1313
Guide
Guide

@ybnice Thank you so much for your reply. I have read through your post, and it really does make sense as I had the same issue. Originally when we installed the cameras they charged fine, no issue at all with them slowly losing charge, then after an update (or should that be a downgrade) things started going south. The other issue I have is that the cameras don't always capture everything that happens on them.

To be brutally honest, I am nearly at the point of dumping Arlo and going for a full hard-wired system as I can't fully rely on these cameras at all. For all the work to put up the cameras, placing the solar panels on the roof and running the wire back under the eave to the camera to make it all look nice and neat, I just feel my efforts are in vain. Now if I was going to go down the path of hard-wiring mine to home power as you have done, I might as well go and install new proper hard-wired cameras and gain a tonne of reliability. Wireless cameras were all for convenience so I didn't have to run the cabling, but now I'm cranky and don't want to pursue this after reading what you've been through. 

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Noelly1313 

Since I have had the Arlo 4 Pro Cameras hardwired they are working great.  Of course staying charged at 100% at all times.  It seems to give the Camera the full "omph" so to speak; making them work to the max and picking up lots more than they ever did when they were connected to the Solar Panels when they worked at 100%.
Just thought I would mention this as they are not cheap to buy and I did not want to outlay more costs in buying another Brand.  So yes, they work fantastic hardwired.

Meljp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I have 2 crack over Xmas 2022

Noelly1313
Guide
Guide

So it appears Arlo has fixed the issue. Now, all cameras on solar panels are automatically charging once the sun comes up. Apparently an update was installed this Month. 

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation