Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Smarthub fails to connect to the internet

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Lowtech
Aspirant
Aspirant

After trying for 3 weeks we finally got a router with an ethernet hole.  It tom us 3 days to get the router to work.  Now today we were ready to try and connect our Pro 4 XL cameras but we had to connect to connect to the smarthub first.  It has one LED light and in the back it has holes for electricity, ethernet, and a sync button which I do not know what it is for.  There is no on off button.

Our internet is working.  We unplugged from the smarthub, then plugged back in.  We ran the speed test (34, then next time 24 download speed).  The LED lights up steady blue for a second then reverts back to orange, both blinking and steady.

We tried to follow the instructions for switching the internet on the smarthub but there was no * for me to press and continue.  I want to return these cameras but they are unreturnable.  Arlo does not work.

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, upload speed is more important than download. Posting all results is useful.

Since the LED on the hub is amber (orange), there's no connection to the servers. The first step is to check the router settings to see if the hub has been assigned an IP address. If not, the Ethernet cable is faulty, one of the ports (either on the router or hub) is faulty or the cable isn't properly inserted on both ends. The cable should "click" into place so you know it's fully inserted.

If an IP address is assigned to the hub, then it's either a setting in the router that's blocking access (unlikely, especially with a new router that hasn't been reconfigured) or the ISP is blocking something for some reason.

My suggestion is to reach out to someone local that can help with this. We're not there so we can't see/hear what's going on. It should be as simple as plugging the hub into the router and it works. Something we can't determine remotely is going on so some local help may be your salvation.

One alternative is to connect the cameras directly to your WiFi rather than to use the hub.

grmeyers
Aspirant
Aspirant

If I knew it would be this hard to connect to the Pro 4 and the Base Station I would have never bought them, I purchase these from different sellers on the internet, and I can understand maybe one would give me problems but no all three at the same time, they won’t connect no matter what I have tried, I’ve done research on the net, watched youtube and even bought a wireless access point to get 2.4ghz even though I should be able to connect to my Netgear router or satellite. I’m not computer literate but know enough to be able to set up a router, I own blink and even though they have problems nothing like Arlo in setting them up. So far as an average consumer I would never recommend these cameras

Lowtech
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been working on the same problem for weeks.  Amazon has a no return policy on these things.  We finally gave up on the smarthub and were successful getting our Pro 4s and Pro 4 XLs hooked up with just plain wifi and will forgo camera history and just go with live shots.  But I would never buy Arlo again and may try unloading these on ebay.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Lowtech wrote:

will forgo camera history and just go with live shots.

So you've ruled out a subscription?  You should be seeing the recordings anyway now, since you have the trial subscription.

The smarthub would only have given you the recordings when you were home, because there is no way to set up remote access with mobile broadband or an LTE hotspot.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation