Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Saving Images and Notifications to my Computer

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
SanVincenzo
Aspirant
Aspirant

How can I saved images and notifications directly to my computer system?  Via my router? Or must I purchase the Arlo Smart Hub to act as a bridge? That seems like unnecessary additional equipment but if it works I'll accept it.

I want to be able to view images while away without the use of vendor supplied cloud services!

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SanVincenzo wrote:

I want to be able to view images while away without the use of vendor supplied cloud services!

Is the reason that you don't trust the vendor services?  Or that you don't want to pay for them?  The reason this matters is that there is no way to avoid using the Arlo Cloud altogether.  Connecting to the cameras requires the use of the cloud, so does receiving notifications.

With a subscription, the video recordings are all saved in the cloud.  You can also save them locally, but there is no way to disable cloud storage apart from removing the cameras from the subscription.

With a smarthub (VMB4540/VMB5000) you can save the recordings locally without a subscription, and access them from the app.  There are a lot of limitations (honestly the user experience is not very good).  But there are folks here who use direct access to local storage and don't subscribe.  If you want more information on the limitations, just ask.

SanVincenzo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. In one sense I wish I had known more about the interface limitation before purchasing the camera. Yes, I definitely do not wish to be locked-in to vendor services and could care less about the "cloud". I already assumed the only method of doing what normally should be simple was with the Arlo smarthub I guess acting as a bridge. However, after failing to find a smarthub manual on the Arlo site for review I decided to cancel the order.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation