Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Range on Compatible Base Station/Smart Hub for Arlo cams?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Ray4156
Aspirant
Aspirant

What’s is the distance range between Base/Smart hub and Arlo Pro 3 / Arlo Pro 4?

And does my WiFi network “help” the range between Compatible Base Station/Smart Hub and Arlo cam`s?

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ray4156 wrote:

And does my WiFi network “help” the range between Compatible Base Station/Smart Hub and Arlo cam`s?

No.  The base sets up its own closed wifi, and the cameras connect directly to that.

@Ray4156 wrote:

What’s is the distance range between Base/Smart hub and Arlo Pro 3 / Arlo Pro 4?

Arlo says the max range is 300 feet (90 m): https://kb.arlo.com/35/How-far-can-I-place-my-Arlo-wire-free-cameras-from-the-base-station

But you are very unlikely to get that - as the article notes, there are a lot of variables that affect wifi performance.  You can look at the signal strength of the base wifi using your phone at the potential camera locations.

What range do you think you need?

Ray4156
Aspirant
Aspirant

The range are not more then 30-40meters, but thru walls(some concrete to the garage but mostly wood walls).

Then I need to put up and extra base station then in same WiFi network if Arlo cam in garage not working(concrete walls)?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ray4156 wrote:

Then I need to put up and extra base station then in same WiFi network if Arlo cam in garage not working(concrete walls)?

That might be needed.  Concrete walls include rebar, and that can reduce the signal strength.

Note the Pro 4 camera can connect directly to your home WiFi, so if you have strong wifi in the garage that would be another option.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation