Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 4 plugged in to use activity zones

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Wegentryjr1
Guide
Guide

Can someone please explain to me why I have to have my cameras plugged in to use activity zones?? One of the main reasons for WIRELESS cameras is to be wireless. This is one of the worst feature requirements I’ve ever heard of.

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Wegentryjr1 wrote:
Can someone please explain to me why I have to have my cameras plugged in to use activity zones?? One of the main reasons for WIRELESS cameras is to be wireless. This is one of the worst feature requirements I’ve ever heard of.

FWIW, several of my cameras are located in spots where I have AC power, but don't have ethernet.  So wireless still has value for me, even if I did need power for activity zones, foresight, or CVR.

But to answer your question - there are two types of activity zones - cloud and local.  Both are managed through the same settings (and those settings don't distinguish between the two types).

If you have a paid subscription, then you have cloud activity zones.  Whenever motion is detected by the PIR sensors, video is streamed to the cloud.  The cloud then analyzes the video and figures out if the motion is inside the zone or not - and supressed both recordings and notifications if the motion is outside the zone.  Cloud activity zones do not require the camera to be plugged in.  (They also don't improve battery life - which is a common misconception.  They only reduce the amount of unwanted recordings).

If you don't have a paid subscription, then you only have local activity zones.  These require the camera itself to analyze the video.  That analysis requires quite a bit more power than simply capturing the video and streaming it.  If Arlo didn't require AC power for local activity zones, we'd all be complaining about the short battery life.

Wegentryjr1
Guide
Guide
Options! I understand what you’re saying. I’d like the option choose.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Wegentryjr1 wrote:
 I’d like the option choose.

With the normal batteries, I think it would generate too many complaints. But it could be worth revisiting with the XL battery.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation