Pro 4 & VMB5000 recording

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Box22
Aspirant
Aspirant

After screwing around for a couple of weeks finally got everything working.

Ten cams. Five Pro 4’s & 5 older models on VMB5000.
All show on screen.  Older ones recordings show up on “feed”. This issue just with Pro 4’s.
All were recording to sd card.
Show as greyed out icon with arrow. Click it and video plays.
Everything was working perfectly.

Then this morning looking at recordings I clicked & viewed two videos. No problem. 
After awhile I noticed videos were no longer going to sd card. Nothing shows up.
Cams work and send notifications.
All settings look good, everything turned on.

Now the strange part. Thought something might be wrong with the sd card so put in another one and formatted it. (Using app)
Still didn’t record but all my old recordings are showing. (Hundreds)
The two I viewed show as thumbnails and still play.
All the greyed out ones when clicked just sit there with an arrow spinning and never download. (Which makes sense because there shouldn’t be anything there.

Also put the original card back in and formatted it.
Same thing. Can view the two but nothing else downloads.
Why is ANYTHING even showing up?
There should be nothing to see. Where are they stored?
Have to be somewhere.
Pro 4’s not being recorded and what’s going on?
6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think you're mixing up cloud vs. local recordings. Since you can always view those 2 recordings, even after formatting your SD cards, those are cloud recordings. To view local recordings, you must select that choice which is different depending on which user interface (UI) you're using. The apps support both UIs with the old one using Library to view recordings and the new UI using Feed. For the old UI, there should be a selection at the top of the Library that allows you to switch between cloud and local recordings. For the new UI you need to go the your hub's settings and select Storage Settings.

As for not recording for the Pro 4 cameras, we need to know whether you have an active subscription since cloud recordings require that. In addition, we need to know whether you see that both cloud and local recordings are or are not available.

Box22
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

Also forgot to mention this is on an iPad.
The only time I ever used cloud recording was when I first purchased the Pro 4’s a few years ago. They came with a free trial. I think it was a couple of months. Don’t remember.
Originally you click “feed” and they would show as thumbnails with a picture, not greyed out.
All recordings were going to sd card.
Without cloud they are on sd card greyed out. You click it and video plays.
That’s what I have been doing.
This morning I didn’t look at the app.
(wasn’t in the mood to mess with it)
I was responding to your post and was going to mention the steps from main screen to videos.
I opened the app and was checking to be sure I had correct steps.
Now all the videos are showing from yesterday and everything seems to be working.
When cameras tripped video goes right to card in a few seconds.
What makes no sense is all the OLD ones are still showing as greyed out.
All have date, time, camera number.
I can put in new formatted card and they show.
Again NO cloud. Why are these showing and where is information stored? Did factory reset of hub yesterday.
Anyway, at this time everything seems OK.
I did nothing, not even look at the app since yesterday.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

If you are seeing recordings on the "Feed" page, then you are accessing cloud storage.  I suggest double-checking the subscription status, to make sure the trial subscription didn't re-activate.

The way to see local recordings with the "Feed" interface is to

• go to the devices page
  • select the base
  • select "Storage Settings"

Also, with local storage there will be no thumbnails for a recording that has not been viewed.  After you download a recording to your phone (or iPad in your case), there will be a thumbnail shown for that recording.

ertert222
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any cloud storage I ever had came with the cameras.

This was a few YEARS ago.
When I click”feed” I get a message (always have) that I found a “premium feature” that you need to pay for. Doesn’t work, no cloud.
I have never paid for it and never would.

I purchased the cameras & hub and it’s on my network.
In my opinion you’re paying for a “convenience “ (you save a few clicks of your time and can see thumbnail pic) that you should already have with the equipment.
The videos that are showing up greyed out (which can not be downloaded, just shows information) are recent. This week, month, year. Again, information only no video available. Tries to download but nothing there.

As of now everything is working properly.
If everything would have disappeared when the cards were formatted (which I believe  should have occurred ) I wouldn’t be here talking about it.
It is obviously being saved somewhere other than the sd cards.
Even if the VMB5000 has some built in memory I did a factory reset and I would think that should erase everything.
Mainly curious at this point. If everything keeps working I’ll most likely forget about it soon.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ertert222 wrote:

When I click”feed” I get a message (always have) that I found a “premium feature” that you need to pay for. 

Ok.  Then you are looking in "storage settings" - let me know if I am getting this wrong.

@ertert222 wrote:

The videos that are showing up greyed out (which can not be downloaded, just shows information) are recent. This week, month, year. Again, information only no video available. Tries to download but nothing there.

This might be due to information being stored in the app cache.  So maybe try clearing that next.

ertert222
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes looking at storage settings.

I mentioned the “premium feature” showing because you thought it might still be using cloud service. Nothing going there. (That I am aware of)
I deleted and reinstalled the app so if it was saving anything it should be gone.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation