Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Plannning a purchase

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Uhly101
Guide
Guide

I'm looking at upgrading my legacy Arlo cameras to the Pro4.  I don't care about connecting to WiFi, so I was planning on purchasing the Smart Hub.  What I think is correct is, by purchasing the Smart Hub I can get cloud recording.  Is that the case?  I'm not interested in ANY Arlo Secure subscription, don't need it.  No matter what they say.  Now this whole purchase will go bust if I can't record either to the Smart Hub or an SD card on the Pro4 camera.  Can anybody help me decipher this.  Things have changed a lot since I purchased my legacy Arlo products back in the day.  TIA!

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Uhly101 wrote:

What I think is correct is, by purchasing the Smart Hub I can get cloud recording.  Is that the case? 

No.  The only way to get cloud storage with a current camera is to get a subscription.

@Uhly101 wrote:

Now this whole purchase will go bust if I can't record either to the Smart Hub or an SD card on the Pro4 camera.  Can anybody help me decipher this.  

The Pro 4 does not support an SD card.

However, the VMB5000 smarthub does have a microSD slot, and will record the videos from the cameras paired with it.  The VMB4540 smarthub also will record videos, but to USB storage.

Both smarthubs have the "direct access to local storage" feature.  This allows you to view the locally stored recordings - but it does have significant limitations.

These include:

1. local recordings only available from the app, not in the web browser.
  2. local recordings only available from the primary account, not friend accounts.
  3. no ability to make manual recordings or take snapshots
  4. no thumbnails, all recordings need to be downloaded to the phone to view them.
  5. Remote access requires router setting changes that many find difficult to make, and which won't work with some internet service providers.

RichAnderson1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have two sets of Arlo cameras, at two different homes.  Whenever power blips (especially the home on Florida Flash & Flicker power) the cameras lose connectivity.  I cannot reset them unless I am at the house to push that silly little button. I think I'm going to throw both sets in the trash and buy Ring cameras or some other brand.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RichAnderson1 wrote:

I have two sets of Arlo cameras, at two different homes.  Whenever power blips (especially the home on Florida Flash & Flicker power) the cameras lose connectivity.  I cannot reset them unless I am at the house to push that silly little button. I think I'm going to throw both sets in the trash and buy Ring cameras or some other brand.

FWIW, getting a UPS and using it to maintain power to the base and router is one work-around for this problem.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation