Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB5000 identification on router

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
bww129
Tutor
Tutor

After setting up a VMB5000 and pairing four Pro 4 cameras to the hub I checked the Asus router's web interface and noticed that it only says one VMC4041P-D1CFD (Pro 4 camera) is connected to the router's 2.4GHz network, even though the ethernet port the hub is plugged into on the router is showing as an active 1Gbps connection. The app shows that all four cameras are definitely paired with the smart hub and not to the router's Wi-Fi network. Is this typical behavior for the VMB5000 smart hub?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bww129 wrote:

After setting up a VMB5000 and pairing four Pro 4 cameras to the hub I checked the Asus router's web interface and noticed that it only says one VMC4041P-D1CFD (Pro 4 camera) is connected to the router's 2.4GHz network, even though the ethernet port the hub is plugged into on the router is showing as an active 1Gbps connection. The app shows that all four cameras are definitely paired with the smart hub and not to the router's Wi-Fi network. Is this typical behavior for the VMB5000 smart hub?

No, not typical.  It sounds like one of the Pro 4s is in fact directly connected to your home wifi.

The only easy ways to check this are

1. turn off the asus wifi, and see if you can livestream all of the cameras.  
  2. or turn off the base station, and see if there is a camera you can still livestream
  3. or remove the camera batteries one by one, and see when the router shows the connection drop.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bww129 wrote:

No, not typical.  It sounds like one of the Pro 4s is in fact directly connected to your home wifi.

The only easy ways to check this are

1. turn off the asus wifi, and see if you can livestream all of the cameras.  
  2. or turn off the base station, and see if there is a camera you can still livestream
  3. or remove the camera batteries one by one, and see when the router shows the connection drop.
bww129
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. According to the app, all 4 cameras were connected to the smart hub, and they were working but there were times when it showed they were unavailable as well.

I tried restarting the smart hub a few times and it didn't make much difference. Removing and resynching the cameras didn't do anything either. Rebooting the Asus router while the smart hub was connected was actually what fixed the reporting issue. The router has never given me problems before but for some reason connecting the VMB5000 caused the strange glitch. It now shows the hub as a wired connection and no cameras on the wifi network.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation