Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

People alerts with nobody seen.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
never_home
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am getting multiple motion alerts from my Pro4 camera.  The camera is set to detection sensitivity 1 and smart notifications to people only.  I am getting multiple alerts which, when I look at the recording show nothing at all except, a bit of reflection from water on a chrome rail.

The alert is "Motion Detected on" (camera name).  Is this a people detection alert or a general motion alert?  If the former, why is it triggering a people alert and, if the latter, why when the only alert selected is people alerts?

Motion Detected on Stbd side view video 

I'd appreciate what the fault is here as I only want genuine alerts.

Also, is there a way for the alert to trigger a sound notification in my iPhone app?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@never_home wrote:

FYI, this has no effect.  The sensitivity in the motion detection test is only for the test.

As a point of interest, what is the purpose of this if it doesn't translate into a stored sensitivity? 

It allows you to find a useful threshold, which you then need to put into the camera rule in the mode.

Note that you can set up different thresholds in each mode, which is sometimes useful.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi,

May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest anything you have previously performed.

You should be receiving an alert tone with the push notification to your phone. Do you have Settings > Arlo Secure > Notifications > Sounds ON

If you have silent/Focus mode enabled this can affect the sounds alert as well. 

never_home
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Shayne

Thanks for responding.

• I have switched OFF all motion alerts except for "People" and "Animated Preview" in Smart notifications
  • I have Reduced sensitivity to 1 (Low) under Device Settings>Device Utilities>Motion Detection Test
  • I have reduced sensitivity to 20 under Mode>Camera Name>Armed>If Motion on Camera Name>Motion is detected.
  • Under this last setting I have Record video selected, Push notification and Email Alerts selected

Is this what you meant by troubleshooting?  Is there anythnig else I could do?

I DO have Settings > Arlo Secure > Notifications > Sounds ON and no silent/focus modes enablked.  I am receiving sound notifications for other alerts such as text/Whatsapp etc.

Many thanks

Duncan

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@never_home wrote:
  • I have Reduced sensitivity to 1 (Low) under Device Settings>Device Utilities>Motion Detection Test

FYI, this has no effect.  The sensitivity in the motion detection test is only for the test.

@never_home wrote:
  • Under this last setting I have Record video selected, Push notification and Email Alerts selected

Smart notification filtering only works for push notifications.  So try removing email alerts as a test, and see if that makes any difference.

never_home
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for this.

However, the core problem remains:

Why am I getting motion notifications when the setting is for people only and there are no people (or animals) in the captured video?

Secondarily, why am I getting notifications when the sensitivity is set to 20?

Many thanks

Duncan

never_home
Aspirant
Aspirant

As a point of interest, what is the purpose of this if it doesn't translate into a stored sensitivity? 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@never_home If possible, can you try removing and re-onboarding the camera again?

never_home
Aspirant
Aspirant

I could but not until the end of the month as it is a remote camera in a different country.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@never_home wrote:

It allows you to find a useful threshold, which you then need to put into the camera rule in the mode.

Note that you can set up different thresholds in each mode, which is sometimes useful.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@never_home wrote:

Why am I getting motion notifications when the setting is for people only and there are no people (or animals) in the captured video?

If you are using email notifications, then this is expected behavior (though IMO wrong). 

But it is not expected behavior for push notifications.  However, there are situations where the AI engine mis-classifies something in the scene as a person.

@never_home wrote:

Secondarily, why am I getting notifications when the sensitivity is set to 20?

Hard to say, it depends on what the camera is aimed at.

never_home
Aspirant
Aspirant

Many thanks

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation