Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Rbrumm
Follower
Follower

FrustratingI have three pro 4 cameras that I purchased for security on my house. Thes are high end cameras that won't stay connected to the wifi even when they are 10 feet away....well, one is near 30 feet and never disconnects. I have reset these things dozens of times. I will get them to connect in the house and once I put then on the mounts outside they disconnect. I'm running the eero wifi mesh system and I have 5 access points so there should be no reason they shouldn't stay connected!!! Yes, I disable the 5g so the cameras link to 2.4g. This is such crap!

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

RiahWillow,

If your cameras are going offline intermittently, this is likely an indication of a connectivity issue. What does the signal strength icon show for the cameras when they are online?

JamesC

35 REPLIES 35
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:
They worked perfectly on my Orbi Mesh until I needed to swap the batteries out. I purchased Arlo brand solar panels for 5 of the 6 and that when it started for me. One of them requires factory restart every time and will not last a day. The other two were fine for a few days. All cameras within 60’ of both bases. Before the battery replacement, I had two of them over 300’ away with no issue.

Do they start working properly when you remove the connection to the solar panels?

LSadowy
Tutor
Tutor

May I ask how you were able to connect the Pro 4 cameras to the Orbi system?  I am trying to use the cameras on a rental home we own across the road from our cottage.  We have an Orbi router and satellite in our cottage, then bouncing across the street to the rental where the other satellite is.  Wifi is strong in rental with the Orbi satellite there.  Have somehow managed to connect the Pro 4 (one of them, without the hub) about 5 times, it works for an hour or two, shows a very week signal outside the front door, then drops the connection.  I can be outside on my ipad, phone, signal is very strong.  I don’t know how to get around the 2.4 ghz requirement, as the Orbi doesn’t differentiate it’s bands.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I’m making myself crazy.   

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LSadowy wrote:

We have an Orbi router and satellite in our cottage, then bouncing across the street to the rental where the other satellite is.  Wifi is strong in rental with the Orbi satellite there.  

Can you try running speedtest at the cottage with the ookla app? 

The client-facing WiFi in the satellite will of course be strong, since the satellite is close.  But the backhaul wifi between the satellite and the router might not be giving enough throughput.

Maverick_30223
Aspirant
Aspirant
LSadowy,
I don't have the Orbi system I have an Arris router. The Pro 4 camera will connect at 135 feet and stay connected with two bars on a 2.4ghz connection. The 5ghz connection won't connect that far away.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Maverick_30223 wrote:
The 5ghz connection won't connect that far away.

The Pro 4s don't have a 5 gHz radio, so they will never connect on that band.

LSadowy
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for taking time to reply.  Ookla says 301 DL and 15.9 UL speed. 

LSadowy
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you, my two bars slowly drop to one, and then it loses the connection.  In looking at my Orbi, it’s was actually telling me the camera was connected to the satellite 1 in the cottage here, and not the satellite 2 in the rental.  I brought the camera back here uninstalled and reinstalled it, now it’s showing as connected to the Orbi router.  I think if I unplug everything, start from scratch with just the orbi router, install the cameras then plug the satellites back in, and put the cameras in place over there, maybe they’ll all stay connected.   It’s 241 feet from the cottage to the rental (satellite to satellite), so I’m going to plug the base station into Satellite 1 here and see if that helps keep the cameras online.  I appreciate everyone trying to help - Lynette 

W_Bruce_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have this exact same problem—I bought the ARLO Pro 4 XL three camera & Base Station from Costco last week.  All there cameras worked flawlessly for about 15 hours, then two of them dropped of exactly as you describe.  I’m running EERO mesh with three pucs spread around the house. I have tried everything, and Arlo tech support has been useless.  I find it odd that one of the cameras stays running where I mounted it, but the other two refuse to stay working.  These will probably go back to Costco—I’m about out of patients…

W_Bruce_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, did spending more money on the Pro-Hub fix it?

And what is a Pro-Hub?

My Pro4 XL cameras came with this base station: Model # VMB4540 

Kind regards,

Bruce

W_Bruce_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did the factory reset on my cameras, and I still have the same problem—they only work at the rear of the house. If I move any of the cameras to the front of the house, they go off-line. The Arlo base station, my EERO main puc for my mesh WiFi and my Spectrum cable internet modem are all pretty much located dead center of the house on the east side of the house.  So: the front and rear mounting locations of the cameras are at equal distance from the base station.  As I have said in a pervious reply to one person’s post, all three cameras worked flawlessly for the first fifteen hours when first installed.  After that, the two cameras at the front of the house started dropping off-line.  They worked intermittently for awhile, but within a few hours, those two cameras will only now work at the rear of the house—again, equal distance from the base station whether at the front or rear of the house…

LSadowy
Tutor
Tutor

I have now had my cameras up and running for the past several months.  I ended up taking the base station out of the mix, and all the cameras work perfectly.  I bought solar chargers for them on Amazon (the no-name kind) and that also solved the battery run down issue. So far, so god. 

Discussion stats