Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
tstr14
Guide
Guide

I recently installed a 3 package set of these cameras.  Two are working pretty much as advertised but the third one isn't.  The camera is hardwired to a power source and although it takes a while, eventually connects to live view. WiFi signal is two bars (out of 3). Activation however almost never works.  I was just outside working less than a few feet from the camera and it recorded nothing.

Suggestions are most welcome!! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tstr14
Guide
Guide

I inadvertently solved the problem.  My cable modem WiFi started acting up, mainly cutting out and requiring a reboot, so I replaced the modem.  Even though the WiFi readings are the same strength at the camera, the problem has disappeared. As a side note, my many Alex devices which had been giving sporadic "device not responding" messages also seems to have benefited from this change.  The only downside was having to go around and reset my many light switches and outlets, something I wish the Alexa app could have taken care of, but hey, I'm not complaining! An hour or so worth of time and everything is working great. 

Thanks to all those who offered suggestions!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Swap cameras around to see if it's the camera or location. Try batteries only.

tstr14
Guide
Guide

I added the "permanent" charging cords to try and eliminate the problem.

tstr14
Guide
Guide

I still need help with this.  I mowed the lawn the other day with my riding mower and never once tripped the camera.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't help if you don't try the previous suggestions.

tstr14
Guide
Guide

I did try the previous suggestions.  I thought that was obvious.  It doesn't respond with just batteries so I tried hard wiring to rule the battery out.  Camera says it has two out of three bars WiFi connectivity.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@tstr14 wrote:

I did try the previous suggestions.  I thought that was obvious. 

No, it wasn't obvious.

When you swapped the cameras, did the problem move with the camera or stay with the location?

tstr14
Guide
Guide

Stays with the camera.  I've tried going through the less than intuitive app to see if there's something I'm missing, but I've set the area up for monitoring and that's had no effect.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Can you make manual recordings from that camera?

tstr14
Guide
Guide

I can access it for live view.  Should live view show up in the library? If so, it's not.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@tstr14 wrote:

I can access it for live view.  Should live view show up in the library? If so, it's not.

The live view itself won't show up in the library.  But there is a record control available when you are looking at the live view, and that should be saved in the library.

tstr14
Guide
Guide

I'll give that a try and report back.

tstr14
Guide
Guide

I inadvertently solved the problem.  My cable modem WiFi started acting up, mainly cutting out and requiring a reboot, so I replaced the modem.  Even though the WiFi readings are the same strength at the camera, the problem has disappeared. As a side note, my many Alex devices which had been giving sporadic "device not responding" messages also seems to have benefited from this change.  The only downside was having to go around and reset my many light switches and outlets, something I wish the Alexa app could have taken care of, but hey, I'm not complaining! An hour or so worth of time and everything is working great. 

Thanks to all those who offered suggestions!

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation