Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Odd and Almost Non-Existent Motion Detection Capability - Arlo Pro 4 XL Camera

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
AlexVi
Follower
Follower

I have a 3-camera system (all are Arlo Pro 4 with XL batteries) connected to a SmartHub and the cloud. I noticed very limited and odd motion detection capability.

For example, we have one camera aimed at the driveway and street which is a cul-de-sac with the dead end on the left. The camera will pick up motion for vehicles coming from the left edge (i.e. from the end of the cul-de-sac) yet will not pick up ANY motion in the driveway (person or vehicle) despite the driveway being closer to the camera than the street is. Also, the camera will not trigger on vehicles approaching from the right edge (the accessible open end of the street). So, a delivery vehicle can enter the cul-de-sac, go by the camera's field of view without being detected, turn around at the end of the cul-de-sac (outside the camera's field of view) and as it drives back in the opposite direction finally get picked up by the camera as it passes in the camera's field of view on the way out of our street.

The motion sensitivity is set on 100%. Both the street and the driveway are in the same (and only) activity zone.

Any and all help would be appreciated for this very aggravating issue that is making the system essentially useless.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The cameras are most sensitive to motion across the field of view - and they are also more sensistive to motion at the bottom of the field of view than they are at the top.

If the camera is oriented so that the drive is completely in the center of the field of view, then it might not reliably trigger, since the vehicle isn't crossing the field of view.

Motion is detected using passive infrared (PIR) sensors - and not detected from the video.  The spec'd range is 20-25 feet.  In my experience, vehicles often are detected from much farther away (since they are larger, and often reflect more IR than a person).  But this does depend on the details - vehicle paint, lighting (particularly with emergency vehicles), outdoor temperatures all come into play.

What motion sensitivity are you using in the cameras?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation