Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Need help with power cable length

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
benhar
Aspirant
Aspirant
Was hoping for some help powering the 2 Arlo’s I just bought (one Pro 4 and one Essential). I ordered 25’ charging cables for them, but the more I read about cable lengths for USB the more confused I get. The ideal situation would be if I can use the 25’s in conjunction with one 15’ extender each, which would save me a from putting a new outlet in a spot I’m trying to avoid. But the more I read, the more I’m questioning if even the OEM 25’ charging cable is OK... I feel like I read some Arlo documentation discussing this but I can’t find it now.

Bottom line, is it ok to use a 15’ extender with the 25’ cable?

Looking like the need for permanent power is going to be more pressing than expected; in less than a week the battery dropped over 50%. Just capturing too many videos from sidewalk and street traffic. The latter is a necessary evil thanks to our need to document repetitive stalking; we’re at a cul-de-sac so I was originally hoping the # of clips wouldn’t be too bad.

For what it’s worth, trying to avoid the solar option for need to keep the cameras discreet.

Thanks for any advice or help!
3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can't extend the outdoor charging cables in any way due to the hard-wired connection at the charger (for weatherproofing) as well as the magnetic connection at the camera end. You could use a regular extension cord to get power to the charger but you'd need to weatherproof that connection.

USB extensions are a tricky business anyways due to the wire size, current draw of the camera and the voltage drop due to both. The indoor charger uses 5V but a short cable while the outdoor one uses 9V to accommodate the voltage drop over the extra length of cable. However, even if you were to find an extension for this charger, you likely wouldn't be happy with the solution.

benhar
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ahh, I didn’t realize it was one piece. The initial cable run was going to get me across attic space, so I can’t use an extension cord. I think my last option is to run Romex and install the outlet at the edge of the attic.

I’m becoming increasingly motivated to suck it up and get two solar chargers; maybe the 8’ cable will allow me to hide them at least a little bit.

My house faces SE, and the high roof will put the cameras in the shade in the afternoons. Would morning sunlight be enough to keep the batteries charged?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Depending on usage, etc., it's likely to keep things charged. Remember that even in shade a significant amount of light can still activate the panel. However, freezing temps will stop charging to protect the battery and remember that the sun's angle changes over time so it's possible occasional repositioning may be needed for best charging.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation