Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Most commonly used Accessories with Pro IV? Need Suggestions - Thanks!

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

Hello!

As a new user of the Arlo cameras (bought the Pro IV kit of 3 with base station at CostCo last week), we are looking to understand the best accessories we should buy for setup purposes.  I have them connected into my Google Wifi Mesh system.  Here is how we are looking to use them:

• Calf/Cow Barn.  This is located about 100 yards from our house (reachable via our WiFi).  The building has metal and wood walls and I've tested the Wifi connection.  We want to use it to watch the Cows and Calves at night.  I've looked at the mounting on the metal (wood is too low) using the metalic units and the corresponding Solar panel for power.  Thoughts on this and what works best?  If the magnetic connection won't work, I can always mount a wood plate on the tin (inside) and drill through either way for mounting (camera, Solar panel).  thoughts?

• Barn  We would put this up on the outside for monitoring of horses and other items in the outside corral.  We also use it temporarily for inside monitoring when we bring animals in (I understand we can buy additional cameras).  I have Wifi to the Barn as well.  I'm thinking I can use the wall mount and possibly buy one of the Tripods.  It would be nice if there was something smaller, though - like a box - that I can put up on a shelf that does the same and takes up minimal space (plus protect the camera).  Any thoughts here?

• House.  This is definitely a portable unit - was thinking of the tripod again.  Do they make a Clip on unit that would hold the camera and clip on to something to hold it up (like a Paint light does)?

We're also interested in the most common accessories people buy.  Are there 3rd-party manufacturers who make these things as well?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Bob

6 REPLIES 6
dcfox1
Master
Master

Can't comment on the rest but for clip on mounts I have some I got from Amazon and they are a lot more durable then I thought and work great. If you have exposed 2x4 beams it will work as I use them on my deck railing.  On amazon search for camera clip mounts or mounts in general for many options including tripod mounts that may be in your size. 

Amazon.com : SLOW DOLPHIN Tripod Clip Clamp Mount Flash Reflector Holder for Studio Backdrop Camera ...

rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for the suggestion on the clips.   We will look into those right away!

-Bob

rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

We are now looking into the Clips via Amazon.  

As a side question, has anyone installed the solar panels and what has been you success with them in various weather conditions (we live in Minnesota and snow/winds/etc. can be an issue)?

Thanks for your help, Team!

-Bob

dcfox1
Master
Master

I had one but an animal destroyed it. Just remember it is a trickle charger unlike AC and will only charge obviously in full sun. Not sure how cloudy winters are there. Also, below 32F the battery stops charging to protect it. It has been cloudy for a week straight except for yesterday in Pa. so it would not have not been effective. But I was happy with it before destroyed. Also you mentioned a horse stable. I would put them on the AC if you can since alot of motion will drain the battery more then usual. 

rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks, DCFox, for your reply!

I figured that the solar panel would be an issue in our weather.  And I didn't know about the trickle charging and issues with batteries not taking charge below 32 degrees.  That might be a problem as at least 30 days or more are usually below 32 degrees here.  And our winters can be cloudy...  (never mind other days during the Spring/Summer/Fall when there is no sunshine).   This camera is on one of my Cattle/Horse sheds - and there is no power there at this time (hence my use of the solar panel).  We're still discussing the best way to do this shed coverage.

As for the horse situation - yep, I'm going to have a plug in for that.  :-).

Thanks!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm in Rochester, NY so somewhat similar weather conditions (we tend to not get as cold for as long as you). The solar panels do help during the winter as long as you occasionally get above freezing and have some sunny days. You may well still have to charge batteries during the winter but perhaps not as frequently. Changing settings to minimize the total amount of recording time can help if that's at all possible.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation