Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
MichaelAlex
Tutor
Tutor

After successfully owning five Arlo Pro cameras I decided to add the security system (primarily to use the water sensors).  The sensors work, but now none of my cameras respond to motion...they don't send alerts, they don't record.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Having a zillion videos has no effect on performance since they're stored remotely, in the cloud. The only performance hit is if many cameras are recording at the same time, swamping your upload bandwidth.

You don't need to be near the hub to click on the red ! - it's just a notification that you may want to change a setting. I've gotten it when something decides to prompt me to create an activity zone or it's too cold to charge from my solar panels. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's because adding the security system caused your account to migrate to the new 4.x user interface (UI). When that happens, your existing modes do not carry over - you have to recreate them using the 3 supplied modes found in Routines. You can't create more modes so use the 3 supplied ones as best you can. 

MichaelAlex
Tutor
Tutor

That's ridiculous.  I purchased a new product that has hobbled what I already had?   I didn't have "modes" I bought a product that worked out of the box (the original cameras).   Use what's available "as best I can"?  I'm going to return the security system and figure out how to get an interface that works.    Wow do I regret this purchase.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MichaelAlex wrote:

I didn't have "modes" I bought a product that worked out of the box (the original cameras). 

Actually you did, you just didn't use them.

I suggest taking the time to look at the modes in the new interface before returning the security system.  One reason is that removing the security system from your set up will not bring you back to the old interface.  So it won't fix your problem.

MichaelAlex
Tutor
Tutor

I was able to get some help from someone on live chat, who explained to me that only the Arm Away mode works, because "it's a new product" ie it's in beta.   So I'm leaving it in Arm Away mode even when I'm home.     Can you tell me what a red exclamation mark inside a red circle means?   Also are there any plans to return to "select all" when it comes to deleting video?

The new interface leaves much to be desired...it's certainly not intuitive, and between the features that don't work (the other modes) and the inability to clean up old events is a burden.   I just had someone walk around my house.  For each camera I have several videos now.   For each I need to take four actions (click to select, click on three dot menu, click on delete, click delete when Im asked if I'm sure I want to delete.)  Four actions to delete one video.  Forty actions to delete ten videos.  It used to provide for bulk selection.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not still in beta (I was a tester) but it does mean you have to recreate your old modes in the new user interface (UI). Since you apparently never utilized modes and rules before you were using the old Armed mode which is created by default. In the new UI, it's called Armed Away and should have all your cameras listed but not necessarily set up the way you'd like (could be new default settings). Check it out in Routines and consider creating rules for only certain cameras in the other modes (Armed Home as well as Standby).

Have you clicked on that red exclamation mark to see what it says? There can be various reasons for it to show up and clicking on it will quickly tell you what it means. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to do anything but it may be useful info.

As for "missing" operations in the new UI, Arlo is taking note and supposedly the development team(s) are working on them. That doesn't necessarily mean they will all get acted upon but keep an eye out for new versions of app and firmware. The mods here are passing on suggestions to the team so they're not being ignored.

However, I still strongly suggest NOT deleting old videos since it really doesn't matter - until you need one back for any reason. Your sense of acceptability may well differ but these videos will end up being migrated off at the end of 30 days anyways.

MichaelAlex
Tutor
Tutor

I will look into the routines to see what makes sense.   As for not deleting videos I must say that if my system records 30-40 times per day and that's left for a month, having 1000 videos must surely impact my performance, no?   I have principally been deleting MOST of them, using the library to keep the ones that matter to me (ie when did the oil get delivered?  When was a package delivered.)    I can not follow through on the exclamation mark at this time as I need to be at the hub, and I'm 100 miles away (this is why I wanted the system in the first place.)    I'll try the modes and see how it goes.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Having a zillion videos has no effect on performance since they're stored remotely, in the cloud. The only performance hit is if many cameras are recording at the same time, swamping your upload bandwidth.

You don't need to be near the hub to click on the red ! - it's just a notification that you may want to change a setting. I've gotten it when something decides to prompt me to create an activity zone or it's too cold to charge from my solar panels. 

MichaelAlex
Tutor
Tutor

The solution requires me to push a button on the hub, so it will have to wait.   Will get to it in a few days.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation