Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Rrlo
Guide
Guide

I chose Arlo because it claims to support reviewing video via a desktop web browser. But popular web browsers don't yet support the Video Coding (HEVC) that 2K resolution uses.

** So I'd like to reduce the video to 1080p or 720p **

I attempted to reduce the resolution by switching "power management" to "Best Battery Life" but that didn't change anything (the camera is still recording 2K videos). Also restarted the cameras, but still 2K.

Any ideas?

11 REPLIES 11
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Enabling Auto Zoom and Tracking will switch the resolution to 1080p.  There's no way to get is lower than that.

Rrlo
Guide
Guide

I turned "Auto Zoom and Track" on, but that did not reduce to 1080p. The videos still say "2K" and need to be downloaded before being viewed.

I've also tried switching to "Best Battery Life" but that didn't change the resolution.

Oddly, about 10% of the videos are randomly recorded at 1080p, and I can view in a browser. But I'd like to always record at 1080p. Browser viewing is the reason I chose Arlo.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Rrlo wrote:

I turned "Auto Zoom and Track" on, but that did not reduce to 1080p. The videos still say "2K".

It reduces for me on Pro3. I would think it would on Pro4 as suggested as it does reduce the resolution. 

Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

Have you tried changing FOV as in the tech specs for the Pro 4 under video modes it says '2k, 1080p, 720p' so I imagine changing the FOV may limit the resolution possibly.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Killhippie wrote:

Have you tried changing FOV as in the tech specs for the Pro 4 under video modes it says '2k, 1080p, 720p' so I imagine changing the FOV may limit the resolution possibly.

The FOV des not effect resolution. I have changed them many times. 

Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

I was as stated by using 'possibly' as I was not 100% sure. So why does the Pro 4 say 720P/2K if you cant choose those resolutions?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When you change the video settings in the camera settings you're changing the resolution. Check the Power Management section.

Rrlo
Guide
Guide

Yes, I've tried all the Power Management options. I currently have mine set to "Best Battery Life" but the camera still records at 2K.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Well, shiver me timbers. I tried all the various settings I thought might affect this (Auto-HDR, power settings, video mode, live 2k streaming) and see the same thing. That's new to me. I see minor differences in bitrate but that's it. So, I have no idea how to reduce the resolution.

@JamesC ?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Enabling Auto-Zoom and Tracking is the only way to reduce resolution. Note that this will not retroactively reduce the resolution of existing library content, only content that is created after enabling Auto-Zoom and Tracking.

JamesC

coolcatt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I experienced the same issue and unfortunately even support cannot view these recordings can you imagine that. However I downloaded the recordings and converted them before viewing to any format .... you can use an online free converter (here's a sample link: https://cloudconvert.com/mp4-to-mov )

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation