Smart hub 4540 flashing orange

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
rjpbda
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yesterday afternoon my smart hub went offline mid day EST. I got it working last night but then today it refuses to recognize the internet connection.

Since then I have reset it multiple times, swapped out the Ethernet cable twice, connected it directly to the modem, spoken to 5 service agents who asked too many questions about my setup which has not changed since the hub was installed last September.

Finally, the last agent I spoke with I asked if there had been any recent firmware updates and low and behold there was a release today. Arlo, could it be that the firmware update is causing the issue? Sad that your service department did not openly offer this up as a solution and continues to point at a stable environment as the problem.

Please look into asap and let me know where to send my receipt so you can swap out this hub - with a stable firmware release.
5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you mean reset the hub or rebooted it? Big difference. Since there was a firmware update that may have caused this, the nfastest thing to do is to remove all devices in Settings, My Devices and start fresh. I would also hold the hub reset button for >15 seconds until the LED flashes amber. Let it reboot to the solid blue LED. If you do this, note all settings, modes, rules, schedule, etc. to speed the rebuild.

rjpbda
Aspirant
Aspirant
I know the difference between reboot and reset.

Just as an fyi, when resetting, after holding the reset button for 12 seconds the lights will initially alternate flashing blue and orange, then the led turns solid orange, then it turns solid blue for maybe 30 seconds to a minute, it then flashes orange.

Another fyi, when plugged into my modem I monitor the Ethernet port lights - there is initial activity when on solids orange then solid blue. Then activity stops or becomes very intermittent after which the led starts flashing orange.

I removed it from devices to start fresh and it has not been able to establish an internet connection since so I can’t add it back.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's a ton of folks out there who post all the time about "resetting" when they mean rebooting. I was just checking.

There was a firmware update last night(-ish) so that may be part of the issue. However, as I recall, holding the reset button long enough results only in a flashing amber LED - I don't think I've ever seen it alternate between amber and blue but may not have noticed. Since the signal that a firmware update is occurring is that same alternating combo, it may be that you hub is stuck in limbo with a failed update. What happens if you hold it longer than 12 seconds - same thing? Use Settings, Support to see what they say. 

BTW, when you plugged it into the modem, hopefully you also power cycled the modem, right?

rjpbda
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. There are also tons of people that do know the difference so might be worth giving people the benefit of the doubt?

I’ve spoken with more Arlo “techs” and have more case numbers than I can count. I’ve done everything they’ve asked short of shaking holy water at it. So yes, the modem, both switches, and every network propagation device has been restarted in tandem with every reset and reboot of the Arlo hub. Back to my original message- it’s funny how my environment gets the attention when the only thing that’s changed is the firmware update. Search these forums for similar issues and it happened back in April 2020 to users in Singapore…….🧐.

So if anyone can tell me how to flash the hardware with a prior firmware version I’m all ears but balanced probabilities strongly suggest it is not my environment.

It also doesn’t seem to be stuck on a firmware update since the reset behavior is as expected. Whatever has changed has stopped the hub from connecting to the internet.

For now I’ll go back to pairing my Arlo 4 cameras direct to wifi. I only use the hub for CVR and it needs to be so close to the cameras it’s nearly pointless. I’m beginning to regret moving away from Nest. Arlo support has so far been terrible.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@rjpbda wrote:
Thanks. There are also tons of people that do know the difference so might be worth giving people the benefit of the doubt?

You would be surprised how many people here say one thing and mean another. It just adds confusion so better to verify to save a lot of back and forth. 

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation