Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Have had two thefts and neither caught on camera

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Codymckenna
Follower
Follower
Dear Arlo community,
My goal is to try and find some kind of contact email for Arlo customer care.
Arlo has not only let me down once, but twice! I initially purchased Arlo after a series of thefts from my property. After installing the cameras the thefts stopped, as far as I know anyway. The cameras alerts never went off indicating anyone around other than the normal coming and goings of people that i knew were around my house.
About 2 months ago my luck ran out and I was robbed. I arrived home one evening and noticed tire tracks leading to my back yard. I followed the vehicle tracks which lead to my barn. I went into my barn and behold, it was cleaned out. It really sucked, but
my first thought was, “now I’ve got you” as I knew I had two Arlo cameras outside, one pointing at my driveway the other toward my backyard and barn. I’d finally catch someone in the act of stealing from me. So I checked the Arlo app…. Nothing! No recordings from that day. How could there be no recordings of the vehicle driving right up my driveway and into the back yard. I have my system set up to record motion when I am not at home. Two cameras pointed toward the action and neither picked anything up. I guessed it was just a fluke. Two months later, I come home again… another theft! Not from my barn but from my backyard. Some yard equipment was stolen!
How could this be!? I never received a single alert from motion detected on any of the cameras I have outside. I check the system again and nothing! Someone drives right by two cameras and neither of them pick anything up.
Cameras are always charged, have good signal are protected from the elements and go off all the time when visitors or animals walk by. But when I really need it Arlo fails! How often is the system really failing me I have no idea. But this expensive system has proven to be useless to me. I was just about to purchase two more cameras for other parts of my house and was thinking of using the system in the restaurants I own. But now, unless Arlo can come up for a reason why I should keep the system it’ll be going in the trash and I’ll be making sure to never recommend this product to anyone. Extremely frustrating to spend all this money on a bunch of cameras and system just to have it fail constantly. Hopefully someone from Arlo can contact me, since they make it very hard to reach them!
I do not recommend Arlo systems! I’ve attached a photo from one of the cameras so you can see how much of the driveway is in the camera frame. You would think it would detect a large object like a car at some point driving by…
1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A few things:

- While many of us would prefer it, there's no usable email address/capability to converse with support. Chat and phone are the real options.

- Based on your picture, you haven't read the FAQ here on best camera positioning. These cameras use PIR sensors which can only detect people out to ~25 feet at the most. You can't set up the cameras at a greater distance and expect them to capture everything - the technology has real limits. You'd have to move the cameras closer to the area of concern so the sensors have a chance of reacting. That may require some creative mounting solutions to accomplish in some situations. You can test this by recreating the same sort of actions the subjects could be using.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation