Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Generic USB solar panel works for Arlo pro 4?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
cpthklive
Follower
Follower

I plan to get the aftermarket brand of solar panel. Those typically have the usb port not the arlo specific port. I am wondering if solar power would work if I connect the arlo usb charger from the camera to those solar panels?

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cpthklive wrote:

I plan to get the aftermarket brand of solar panel. Those typically have the usb port not the arlo specific port. I am wondering if solar power would work if I connect the arlo usb charger from the camera to those solar panels?

Hard to say if a generic panel would work or not.  Much better to get a third party panel designed for Arlo (Wasserstein sells one, not sure who else might).  Either way,  Arlo will recommend against it.

If you use a generic panel then

1. You would need to get an outdoor rated cable - and Arlo doesn't sell them.  The outdoor "cable" accessory actually has an integrated charger that can't be detached.
  2. The camera also needs to detect whether it is connected to an AC charger or a panel.  It uses a lot more power when AC connected (due to features like foresight being turned on), so the battery will actually drain very quickly if it thinks it is connected to AC when in fact it is connected to a panel.
Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation