Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
SteveXYZ
Guide
Guide

In trying to set up this camera, I can't get past the firmware update step.  It took forever to get the camera to connect to the WiFi router, but now I get repeated messages "Checking for firmware  update failed" and cannot get to the next stage.  Two other cameras went through the process without this problem.

36 REPLIES 36
Cheryl_
Aspirant
Aspirant

full battery and full strength.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Cheryl_ wrote:

full battery and full strength.

Understood, but not enough for actvity zones.  Either AC power (for camera-processed zones) or a subscription (for cloud-processed zones).

LNorman
Aspirant
Aspirant

My issues started with 2 Arlo Pro 4 cameras (out of 6), failing to be recognized during the setup process, but then my replacement cameras wouldn't get through the firmware update. Of course I removed the devices from the Arlo app, and pressed the reset button on the cameras and waited for the 3 orange flashes to reset the cameras each time, but I did 2 others things I hadn't done before. First, I moved the cameras completely away from any other wifi or electronic devices, and about 5 feet in direct line of sight of my router. Then after my camera recognized the bar code and chimed (everyone seems to get through that process), I immediately plugged in the AC power cord to the camera and left it to finish the setup process. I had charged my cameras overnight thinking that was more than enough power for the setup process, but maybe getting rid of any possible interference, and giving the cameras the full power of the AC power cord was just enough to complete the setup. Fyi, I bought my cameras in packs of 3 on Amazon (so they sent me another 3 pack). It took 3 replacements to get 2 working cameras.

rarbanas
Aspirant
Aspirant

An update, for all with UniFi wifi related challenges, especially failing firmware update, discovery and disapointing camera battery life. A couple of weeks ago using UniFi network application console / app I have fixed all cameras to their respective ACs. What I have noticed is that cameras (I have 9) started to behave much better, not going into offline as they did from time to time, connection times improved, overall the setup immediately started to feel more robust. Now, today I got dreaded 'Update Firmware' notification for all 9 cameras... This time however, I was able to update the firmware, via browser (Google Chrome) and updating camera one by one. Interestingly, when I clicked on all cameras to update in parallel I again ended up with 'Update Firmware available...', but... When I tried to update one by one then it worked. So, it must have been connected with some UniFi dynamic AC allocation protocol confusing Arlo cameras, blocking discovery and in parallel draining batteries (yes, once I pinned cameras to their ACs I have also noticed much better battery life... Like, 3 times better...)... So, if you are with UniFi setup, still struggling with updating firmware, discovery, or disappointed with battery life you may try fixing the cameras to ACs via Unifi network app... Hope this helps  

kgeb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Had to get a warranty replacement.  The replacement camera would not update firmware.  I scrolled through this post and found a suggestion to use a mobile hotspot to update the firmware.  I did it a little differently and used an alternate wi-fi, new account with Arlo, factory reset camera, camera was recognized, firmware updated.  Then removed the device from the new Arlo account and added the camera using the "add new device" following the directions from my original Arlo account.  Finally worked.  I work with some awesome software engineers that could fix your issues with your system if Arlo company is interested, contact me.  Thanks!  I hope this helps others.

rarbanas
Aspirant
Aspirant

And.. No. With 1.080.18.6_66_bda8d63 update again having the same 'Firmware Update' available message, so fixing cameras to access points not helping this time. I am beyond 'losing' patience as with 9 cameras, dreading the day when mandatory 'firmware update' will pop up... so, having again to fiddle around removing cameras from the system, adding it to some pure internet mobile hotspot, adding them back again and... then re-assigning them on the network to keep the topology up to date... crazy, simply crazy 

Turnerjw1
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK so despite the very unhelpful input from Arlo, it does come down to the 2.4Ghz issue. You need to access your Wi-Fi router from a web browser and look at the Wi-Fi channels settings. There should be a separate setting for each of 2.4 and 5ghz. Your router settings would normally synchronise both channels, you need to untick that box if one there. You then also need to rename your channel in the SSID section to something similar but perhaps just adding “-5g” at the end. Save your settings.

When you scan for Wi-Fi networks you will see your existing network which is now just 2.4ghz and another network with the -5g postfix which is just 5ghz. Connect to the 2.4ghz network and your updates etc should work just fine. 

Go back into your Wi-Fi router and reset the settings as above and don’t forget to send flowers to the helpful folk at Arlo.

BeakyBee
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having big issues with this firmware upgrade. 

Arlo said to call my ISP and disconnect 5 giga hertz bandwidth. Did that and then couldn't get online to anything!

Changed and upgraded mobile phone, where the Arlo app is and still the same

Arlo sent replacement camera. Now got 4 cameras and none of them work !

It is driving me crazy, as Ive spent 3 days trying to resolve this. Everything was working fine for months until this firmware upgrade was attted to be pushed through.

BeakyBee
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do that and then I can't get online to anything !

Works laptop. IPAD. Everything !

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BeakyBee wrote:

I do that and then I can't get online to anything !

Works laptop. IPAD. Everything !

Make sure that

• the router settings permit  WPA2 (AES) connections
  • there is no punctuation (including spaces) in the wifi network name and password
Onion888
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased 4 Arlo Pro4 yesterday had no problems setting 3 out of 4 cameras up initially. The 4th would chime when passed over the QR Code and that was it. The APP couldn't locate it. I tried this several times as other people have done with no success. I then discovered 2 of the camera's that were installed the spot lights couldn't be turned off from the APP. I rebooted/reset the phone and all problems were solved. The 4th camera installed without any problems and I was able to turn the lights off on all 4 cameras.  Installed using a Samsung Galaxy S22 

rphillpot
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried this.

And battery is 100%

And wifi signal is 100% 

And tried over LTE

Still doesn;t work.

Piece of garbage,

Discussion stats