Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Do I need a SmartHub for the Pro 4 cameras?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do I need a SmartHub for the Pro 4 cameras.  It was my understanding that the router is built into them.  If so, then would I purchase the VMB5000?  Doesn't it record to the cloud w/o the SmartHub?

Thanks - R

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The cameras require a subscription regardless of how they're connected (WiFi or hub) if you want cloud recordings. Whether you decide to also buy a hub depends on what you will solve by doing so. The big reasons for using a hub are 1) all cameras are lumped together for modes so it's easier to manage them all at once as well as 2) the ability to use local recordings as a backup (or primary if choosing to not purchase a subscription). I happen to prefer the VMB4540 for local recordings since it uses a USB drive rather than a microSD card.

Note that use of ONLY local recordings is not the same experience as using cloud recordings so if you decide to buy a hub for the purpose of not having a sub be sure to set things up before your sub runs out so you can compare experiences.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Mammoth670
Guide
Guide

they will work directly to your home wireless.  but it requires a monthly or yearly subscription

They suggest a hub.   you can also do "local" recording with a Hub.

its personal preference.    

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The cameras require a subscription regardless of how they're connected (WiFi or hub) if you want cloud recordings. Whether you decide to also buy a hub depends on what you will solve by doing so. The big reasons for using a hub are 1) all cameras are lumped together for modes so it's easier to manage them all at once as well as 2) the ability to use local recordings as a backup (or primary if choosing to not purchase a subscription). I happen to prefer the VMB4540 for local recordings since it uses a USB drive rather than a microSD card.

Note that use of ONLY local recordings is not the same experience as using cloud recordings so if you decide to buy a hub for the purpose of not having a sub be sure to set things up before your sub runs out so you can compare experiences.

Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks - I'm not sure what a sub is thought.

Aspirant
Aspirant

Okay, got it.

Thanks - Rich

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation