Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
lpd688
Tutor
Tutor
  • So (4) new Pro 4 Spotlight cameras.  I have had (2) cameras that keep disconnecting frequently.  It is not the range of the Wi-Fi as both cameras are in an area that get approx 650 mbps down and 50+ up.  These cameras are on the 2.4 signal so could it be a signal interfering maybe.  My issue with this is the Arlo Support site says try turning the device on/off through the app or reboot your router, but that is a failure on Arlo’s part bc if the device is disconnected it does not give the user the option to restart the camera and I don’t like constantly having to restart my router.  That’s dumb that the cameras won’t stay connected.  The only way I have been able to reset these cameras is to physically climb up on a ladder and pull the battery.  That is dumb.  Is Arlo intending to fix that problem or create a solution for this bc I will be returning these cameras if I have to climb a ladder twice a week?
7 REPLIES 7
lpd688
Tutor
Tutor

I have had these cameras up and active for 6 days now.  I forgot to mention that.

lpd688
Tutor
Tutor

And there is also no option to reconnect to the network without physically going to the cameras.  Does Arlo plan on adding a button, feature or something to try to reconnect the camera to the network without having the physically access the camera?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lpd688 wrote:
  • So (4) new Pro 4 Spotlight cameras.  I have had (2) cameras that keep disconnecting frequently.  It is not the range of the Wi-Fi as both cameras are in an area that get approx 650 mbps down and 50+ up.  These cameras are on the 2.4 signal so could it be a signal interfering maybe.  

Though it does require more ladder climbing, I suggest swapping the two problem cameras with the two working cameras.  Then see if the problem stays with the cameras or with the location.

lpd688
Tutor
Tutor

So I chatted with arlo support.  They asked distance from router to cameras etc…standard questions.  My question for Arlo is simple - much like an iPhone can lose a network connection and disconnect the phone from Wi-Fi there is an easy fix for that.  Turn the Wi-Fi off/on and the phone immediately reconnects.  There is no option for that in the Arlo app.  It seems that Arlo could add the option to reconnect the camera to Wi-Fi much the same way without having to remove the battery.  

lpd688
Tutor
Tutor

After reviewing the community feeds and posts, this has been an ongoing issue with the pro 4 cameras as Arlo offers ZERO solution through the app.  The only way to get the camera to reconnect to the network is to physically remove the battery from the camera.  Arlo I see at least since May 2021 has been aware of the issue and concerns brought forth by customers.  That’s concerning as it would appear a simple solution to reconnect the camera back to the network could be resolved through their app or firmware to force the camera to reconnect to the synced network in the event it disconnects for whatever reason.

Dannybear
Master
Master

Do the cameras going offline happen often or every few weeks.

there are some things you can try but no guarantee that they will work.

• Set the IP address to a static value in your router. Doing this removes the need for the camera to rely on the DHCP.
  • set the router wifi channel to a fixed number ideally in a quiet gap in the wifi spectrum, reboot router and wait to complete. Reboot the Base station to make the base match channels.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lpd688 wrote:

an iPhone can lose a network connection and disconnect the phone from Wi-Fi there is an easy fix for that.  Turn the Wi-Fi off/on and the phone immediately reconnects.  There is no option for that in the Arlo app. 

It works on the iphone because you can control the phone through the touchscreen even when it is not connected to the network.  But the app controls the camera over wifi.  If you were able to turn off the wifi connection inside the camera from the app, there would be no way to tell the camera to turn the wifi back on.

The camera is supposed to reconnect on its own, so part of the puzzle here is why that isn't happening.

The camera swap I suggested would help sort out if two of the cameras are defective, or if something is going on at that location.

Note the cameras aren't capable of 650 mbps - your test must have been using a device with a 5 ghz connection to see that speed.  The cameras would be using 2.4 ghz.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation