Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
donfarese
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Asus GT-AX11000 router. It has 1x 2.4 GHz and 2x 5 GHz radios. I already have 4  Pro 4 cameras connected to the 2.4GHz. I remember I had a hell of a time connecting them, cannot remember how I got them to connect. But now I wanted to connect my last 2, and for the life of me they will not connect to my router. Keeps giving me the cannot find camera after I scan the QR code. Same crap I had to deal with with the first 4 cameras, wish I wrote down how I figured it out.

Below is what I do:

1. I have the phone connected to 2.4 GHz
  2. I am trying to connect the camera to 2.4 GHz
  3. I log in with my SSID and PW of the router for 2.4 GHz
  4. I press the button on the bottom of the camera for 3 seconds and then it blinks blue
  5. I scan the QR code and hit continue for it to connect
  6. It searches for ever and then tells me cannot find camera
14 REPLIES 14
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WHile it could be that you need to disable the 5GHz SSIDs or make sure you're connecting to the 2.4GHz SSID with your phone, it may be simpler to use a computer browser to do the install. Go to my.arlo.com to see if that works. It may be best if the computer is connected via Ethernet but WiFi connected to the 2.4GHz SSID should also work.

You can also reset the cameras which may prove useful. https://kb.arlo.com/000062438/How-do-I-factory-reset-and-re-sync-my-Arlo-camera

donfarese
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi I tried doing it on the computer connect via Ethernet, but didn't work. I can only turn off one 5GHz SSID radio, When I turn off the first 5GHz radio it also turns off my 2.4GHz radio and SSID. I am definitely connecting to my 2.4GHz SSID on the Phone while trying to install the new camera.  I also tried the Hard reset of the camera and still doesn't work.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try using your phone to create a hotspot that uses the same SSID and password as the router. Turn off the router temporarily and see if you can then connect the cameras. If so, turn off the hotspot on the phone and turn your router back on. The cameras should then connect to the router normally.

donfarese
Aspirant
Aspirant

That seamed like a great Idea, but It seems I could not do it because my Arlo App would say I'm not connected to the internet. I think I have to be connected to Wifi not cellular in order for it to work. I tried connecting my phone to the 5GHz and then hotspotting the 2.4GHz but that didn't work either, couldn't find Camera. I also tried turning off my Routers Firewall, that didn't work either.

donfarese
Aspirant
Aspirant

These Arlo Cameras are the most aggravating crap I ever bought. I have now tried everything and nothing works. I even tried turning off the router and only using the modem/router that came with my fiber, I turned off everything except the 2.4GHz, I tried doing it through the phone and computer, I tried two separate cameras, nothing works! Unless my account at Arlo is screwed up or something, there is nothing else I can do. My phone app is updated but has the old UI not that I think that matters. I've spent way to many weeks, day, hours trying to get these things to work.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@donfarese wrote:

That seemed like a great idea, but it seems I could not do it because my Arlo App would say I'm not connected to the internet. 

Do you have the app configured to use both wifi and mobile data?

donfarese
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm using an S23 Ultra, If I go under app info and check data usage it is set to "Allow background data usage".  Other than that I don't know of any other setting. Also I've tried over and over to connect cameras on computer using wireless and via ethernet.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@donfarese wrote:

I'm using an S23 Ultra, If I go under app info and check data usage it is set to "Allow background data usage".  Other than that I don't know of any other setting.

Is "Data Saver" enabled?

@donfarese wrote:

Also I've tried over and over to connect cameras on computer using wireless and via ethernet.

Ok, but you didn't tell us that before.

When the discovery fails, have you checked your router's attached device list for the camera?

donfarese
Aspirant
Aspirant

Data Saver is not on. I even tried with Mobile Data Off.

I did mention I tried on the computer a couple of times, you might have missed it. I even said it in my second post.

I did find it in the router connected devices. I noticed you had to look for the last of the SN#, so I named it instead so I can find it faster.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@donfarese wrote:

I did find it in the router connected devices.

So it is connecting, but the app is not discovering it to complete the process.

One thing you could try is to set up a different network with the same network name/password, and turn off your current wifi.  Then see if you can add the cameras when your phone is connected to that network.

One variant is to set up the phone as a hotspot that uses the same network name and password.  That won't work with iPhones, as you can't set the network name.

donfarese
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried both of those things. I said it in a post above that I tried on another router. The Modem/Router that the fiber internet came with. I even tried making the SSID called "DFS" and the same password. Still the same, "Cannot Find Camera"

I tried on the phone using cellular and then creating a hotspot. But the Arlo app wouldn't let me unless I was connected to a WIFI.

I tried talking to Arlo but now these two cameras that will not connect are out of Warranty. I bought 2x three packs of the Arlo Pro 4.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@donfarese 

I have escalated this for you and Support will be reaching out as soon as possible.

donfarese
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS wrote:

@donfarese 

I have escalated this for you and Support will be reaching out as soon as possible.

Thank you!  Could it be I need to upgrade to the new UI? I hate to do so and it not work, Only because I heard people saying to stay on the old UI because the new one had issues.

donfarese
Aspirant
Aspirant

So far Arlo has been great contacting me and trying to find a solution. They are sending me a new camera to try to see just by coincidence if the two cameras I have that will not connect are both defective.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation