Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Rick2524
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can't view library on PC, Chrome or Edge. On phone work good

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rick2524 wrote:

Can't view library on PC, Chrome or Edge. On phone work good

Is the issue that you can't access the library, or that the files need to be downloaded to play them?

Playing 2K or 4K videos in the browser isn't possible on all PCs.  With Windows, it requires

• using Edge
  • a PC that has HEVC hardware acceleration - in the case of Intel, Gen 5 processor (Skylake) or later.
  • the HEVC extension (available from the microsoft store).

The need for the HEVC extension is a bit controversial here.  But I recently confirmed that I do need that extension installed on my own PCs to be able to view 2K and 4K video.  Note the extension isn't a browser plugin - it's an extension package for Windows itself.

Rick2524
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've downloaded the microsoft HEVC extension 3 times and it still doesn't work on Edge or Chrome. I've paid 3 times and can't even find it in my computer. Any suggestions

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rick2524 wrote:

I've downloaded the microsoft HEVC extension 3 times and it still doesn't work on Edge or Chrome. I've paid 3 times and can't even find it in my computer. Any suggestions

Even with the extension, it requires a processor that includes HEVC hardware acceleration.  Can you right click on "This PC" and tell us the processor that is listed there?

As far as the extension itself goes, it is hard to confirm the installation status.  What you do is enter Powershell into the windows search bar. Right click on the app that shows up, and run it as administrator.  Then enter this at the prompt:

Get-AppxPackage "*hevc*"

You should see a response that looks something like this:

Name              : Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension
Publisher         : CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US
Architecture      : X64
ResourceId        :
Version           : 1.0.42042.0
PackageFullName   : Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_1.0.42042.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
InstallLocation   : C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_1.0.42042.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
IsFramework       : False
PackageFamilyName : Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_8wekyb3d8bbwe
PublisherId       : 8wekyb3d8bbwe
IsResourcePackage : False
IsBundle          : False
IsDevelopmentMode : False
NonRemovable      : False
Dependencies      : {Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.30035.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe}
IsPartiallyStaged : False
SignatureKind     : Store
Status            : Ok

I'm not sure if you get the option to choose the 32 or 64 bit version in the app store, or if it determines that automatically.  If you have a 64 bit installation of Windows, you definitely need the 64 bit version. The 32 bit version won't work with 64 bit Edge.

Rick2524
Aspirant
Aspirant

Got it, Thanks, what do I do next?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rick2524 wrote:

Got it, Thanks, what do I do next?

What processor are you using?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies