Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice
Why are there gaps between CVR clips?? C'mon arlo. Please fix this issue. I'm watching CVR videos and when the time line hits the gaps, the video jumps multiple seconds.
Why??
Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

desertrat1981,

After speaking with the dev team, it appears this could be an issue with upload bandwidth. What is your ISP upload speed? If you have other WiFi devices that are uploading content, this could explain the intermittent downtime of CVR as the upload traffic on your network is causing congestion.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

desertrat1981,

This could indicate that the camera is dropping offline, possibly due to poor signal strength or WiFi interference. What does the signal strength icon show? Do you receive recordings during the gaps or are there no recordings as well?

JamesC

22 REPLIES 22
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

desertrat1981,

This could indicate that the camera is dropping offline, possibly due to poor signal strength or WiFi interference. What does the signal strength icon show? Do you receive recordings during the gaps or are there no recordings as well?

JamesC

desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice
Signal strength is strong. Gaps seem to be roughly every 30 minutes. Give our take a few minutes. I noticed the gaps do show recordings. But when a gap falls within an event e.g. motion, the gap jumps a few seconds sometimes a few minutes and that much event is skipped. Any ideas?? Thanks.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

desertrat1981,

Could you provide a screenshot of the gaps?

JamesC

desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice
Screenshot
Screenshot_20220301-122824_Arlo.jpg
desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice
You can see how big some gaps are compared to others. The gap in the middle is about 2 minutes. I can't even view that area. The time line jumps each time.
desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice
Here you can see the signal strength.
Screenshot_20220301-123332_Arlo.jpg
desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice
Still waiting for reply. Thanks.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've escalated this topic and it's currently being reviewed by the development team. I will provided an update once I have more information available.

JamesC

desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thank you. I look forward to your reply.
desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice
Waiting for a follow-up. Thanks.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

desertrat1981,

The development team is still reviewing this escalation. I don't have any new information at this time but will provide an update as soon as I know more.

JamesC

desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks. I look forward to a solution.
phillipsusn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can you explain how you enabled CVR on the Arlo Pro 4?  My understanding is that the CVR subscription requires a base station (based on their own KB https://kb.arlo.com/1018425/What-is-continuous-video-recording-CVR-and-how-do-I-use-it) .

When looking at the base stations, none of them say they support the Arlo Pro 4.  Can't tell if this is another example of terrible documentation on their part or if I'm missing something here.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@phillipsusn wrote:

Can you explain how you enabled CVR on the Arlo Pro 4?  My understanding is that the CVR subscription requires a base station (based on their own KB https://kb.arlo.com/1018425/What-is-continuous-video-recording-CVR-and-how-do-I-use-it) .

The camera does need to be paired with a base, and also needs to powered with AC.

@phillipsusn wrote:

When looking at the base stations, none of them say they support the Arlo Pro 4.  Can't tell if this is another example of terrible documentation on their part or if I'm missing something here.

The four newest base stations/smarthubs all support the Pro 4 camera.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/Arlo-SmartHub-and-Base-Station-Compatibility

@JamesC:  The "see compatible devices" lists on the main pages are out of date.

desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice
All my cameras (5 Pros and 3 Pro 4s). All connect fine to the VMB400r3 base station. Most of the base stations are backwards compatible. The CVR camera need constant power.
desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice
Oops. VMB4000r3. I left out a zero. Lol.
desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice
The 5000, 4540, 4000, & 4500 are compatible with the Pro4.

The 3000 & 3500 are not compatible.
desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

desertrat1981,

After speaking with the dev team, it appears this could be an issue with upload bandwidth. What is your ISP upload speed? If you have other WiFi devices that are uploading content, this could explain the intermittent downtime of CVR as the upload traffic on your network is causing congestion.

JamesC

desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense, but I don't have slow bandwidth and my wifi network is strong and stable. I can't accept that as an acceptable solution as I haven't found anyone else with this issue.
iUser
Aspirant
Aspirant
Lots of people have this issue, including me. This is so frustrating. The black out only happen when there is motion event happening. This is clearly a software issue rather than hardware. Seems like the event recording is taking over the regular CVR recording. You should hire better engineers and stop outsourcing to india!
desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree. This is also an arlo issue, not my network issue. They blame the consumer network instead of trying to fix this issue. I know darn well my network is stable and strong. I just hope that no incident happens during the skip period. Sometimes I rethink my arlo purchase. Like you said, stop outsourcing to India. 

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation