Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo battery when internet outage

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Freema22
Aspirant
Aspirant
My dad’s internet provider is not very reliable. I feel like there is an outage at least once a month. When this happens, his Arlo camera goes into some kind of panic mode and continually tries to reconnect, killing the battery. For example, his internet went out in the middle of the night 2 nights ago. When the internet was restored around 11:00am, his battery was down to below 50%. We purchased the solar panel to try and mitigate some of his concerns, but it is only a band aid.

Are there any settings that be adjusted that prevent the camera from essential killing itself if the internet is out? Seems like a great opportunity for improvement.
7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Freema22 wrote:
My dad’s internet provider is not very reliable. I feel like there is an outage at least once a month. When this happens, his Arlo camera goes into some kind of panic mode and continually tries to reconnect, killing the battery. For example, his internet went out in the middle of the night 2 nights ago. When the internet was restored around 11:00am, his battery was down to below 50%. We purchased the solar panel to try and mitigate some of his concerns, but it is only a band aid.

Are there any settings that be adjusted that prevent the camera from essential killing itself if the internet is out? Seems like a great opportunity for improvement.

Not really suitable for the idea exchange (really a troubleshooting question), so the mods will probably move it.

It'd be helpful to know what camera this is, and whether it is paired to a base station or not.  Also, if the power failed (or the router turned off) when the internet went out, or not.

Freema22
Aspirant
Aspirant

It’s a Pro 3 Wire-free connected to a solar panel. It’s not a power issue with the router. It’s a service issue with the ISP / Cable company (Spectrum).

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Freema22 wrote:
It’s a Pro 3 Wire-free connected to a solar panel. It’s not a power issue with the router. It’s a service issue with the ISP / Cable company (Spectrum).

So the camera is connected via a base station or smarthub?

Or is it a Pro 3 floodlight connected to home wifi?

Freema22
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry, it is an Arlo Pro 4 Wireless. No base station. Connected to WiFi with an active cloud account.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Freema22 wrote:

Sorry, it is an Arlo Pro 4 Wireless. No base station. Connected to WiFi with an active cloud account

I haven't tested that particular scenario, so I don't know how that might affect battery life.  

With a base station, the camera won't experience rapid battery drain as long as the wifi created by the base station is up.  Loss of internet alone won't affect it.  But of course your situation is different.

@JamesC or @Mark-V might have some advice.

KY_ca
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have exactly the same problem on two of my pro 4 cameras. Battery drained almost 25% during an overnight internet outage. I had to rest it by taking the battery out. When internet was restored, arlo app flags these cameras as disconnected. However when I check them on my WiFi router online, I see constant upload/download traffic. It seems that the cameras were stuck in some dead loop that drains power. This looks like a software bug for me. This doesn’t always happen, but frequent enough to cause serious problems particularly when we are not home, and cannot reset and recharge the battery.
876565495ab
Aspirant
Aspirant

same issue.. Wifi goes down, Arlo Pro 4 camera (without base station) unable to re-connect to wifi. 

These cameras are at a property in a different town, so I can't manually reset them. Very frustrating. 

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation