Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 won't connect

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
buck183
Initiate
Initiate

I have a brand new set of three Arlo Pro 4 cameras that will not do anything for me.  I already have an account I use for existing Arlo products.  Trying to connect these to a wifi system at my father's house.  Only one of the three cameras will scan the QR code, and this one won't connect to the Arlo app at all.  I have attempted to try to connect all these cameras on multiple different wifi networks with the same results.  Two cameras won't scan, and the one that will won't connect.  I need to get this figured out quickly for my dad if possible.  

Best answers
  • desimis1877
    Aspirant
    Aspirant

I was having the same issues described by people in this post and thought I'd post the solution I found in the event it helps the next person.  Hunting around another Arlo help article - "How Do I Connect My Mobile Device To A 2.4 GHz WiFi Network To Set Up My Arlo Camera?" - I noticed at the very bottom it says "Ensure that your mobile device is NOT connected to a VPN".  My Android device automatically enables VPN.  The moment I turned it off I was good to go, registered instantly after doing the sync reset and rescan the QR Code.  Arlo really needs to add that detail in their setup process within the app.  

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@buck183 wrote:

I have a brand new set of three Arlo Pro 4 cameras that will not do anything for me.  I already have an account I use for existing Arlo products.  Trying to connect these to a wifi system at my father's house.  Only one of the three cameras will scan the QR code, and this one won't connect to the Arlo app at all.  I have attempted to try to connect all these cameras on multiple different wifi networks with the same results.  Two cameras won't scan, and the one that will won't connect.  I need to get this figured out quickly for my dad if possible.  

It can be frustrating.

I suggest trying a PC (browsing to my,arlo.com) and see if that works better.  Slowly move the camera closer/further from the screen, and a bit from side to side to find the right focus for the scan.

Of course you need to be careful on typing the network name and passphrase.  

The network does need to be encrypted (e.g., wpa2).  Some punctuation/special characters can interfere - underscore (_) being one I've seen reported here.

Blackfire0630
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same thing Is happening to me brand new out of the box only one camera is scanning the QR code the other two won’t connect or scan it’s very frustrating
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Blackfire0630,

Try making sure the cameras are fully charged using the included charging cable and then factory reset. After the reset is complete, try onboarding again. Do you still experience the same behavior?

How do I factory reset and re-sync my Arlo camera?

JamesC

Farmer70
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just bought Arlo pro 4 in a three pack batteries charged just fine but when I go to set up cameras to my app on my phone it won’t recognize any of the cameras no matter which one I try.
buck183
Initiate
Initiate

I ended up purchasing a base station and moving on.  I tried EVERYTHING mentioned in this thread ten times and then same.  I'm sorry, this is an obvious issues with this product line.  I have not had any issues with my other Arlo cameras, but they all have base stations.  

I'm even more disappointed in how difficult Arlo is to contact about these issues.  

Blackfire0630
Aspirant
Aspirant
I finally got the other cameras to connect I did a factory reset on everything down to the doorbell I thought about buying the base station but thank God I didn’t have too
tajunta
Aspirant
Aspirant
I had the same issue, tried everything like resetting, PC instead of mobile, charging battery, being close to the router… the thing that worked for me was to disable 5 GHz wifi from my router altogether before the installation. Seems like the cameras are not able to connect to 2.4 GHz wifi if there is a 5 GHz wifi present, even when the SSID is different on them. Or then it was just magic, who knows.
desimis1877
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was having the same issues described by people in this post and thought I'd post the solution I found in the event it helps the next person.  Hunting around another Arlo help article - "How Do I Connect My Mobile Device To A 2.4 GHz WiFi Network To Set Up My Arlo Camera?" - I noticed at the very bottom it says "Ensure that your mobile device is NOT connected to a VPN".  My Android device automatically enables VPN.  The moment I turned it off I was good to go, registered instantly after doing the sync reset and rescan the QR Code.  Arlo really needs to add that detail in their setup process within the app.  

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation