Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
WendyK-60
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the Arlo Pro 4 security camera’s with the 4500 base station. My subscription has expired. So I now view the video’s that are recorded locally to the base station.

my problem is: why can’t I view the video’s from the base station when I am away from my home. I have the base station plugged into my router, via Ethernet cable. Do I need to set up the base station differently?

9 REPLIES 9
Dannybear
Master
Master
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@WendyK-60 wrote:

I have the Arlo Pro 4 security camera’s with the 4500 base station.

Do you mean a 4540?  The 4500 doesn't support the direct access to local storage option.

@WendyK-60 wrote:

Do I need to set up the base station differently?

AS @Dannybear says, the answer is yes.  There are router settings you need to change (either adding in port forwarding or enabling a home VPN).  Note there are a few ISP networks where that won't work (starlink and tmobile broadband being two).   But most will.

WendyK-60
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry, yes the 4540

WendyK-60
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have VPN with my Norton security software. Is that the same thing. I have no idea how to set up a VPN

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@WendyK-60 wrote:

I have VPN with my Norton security software. 

No, it works the wrong way around.  The Norton VPN connects outbound, you need something that allows you to connect inbound to your home network from outside.  Normally you'd set it up in the router (and not all routers have that feature).  

Port forwarding is the other option, which is also set up in the router.  You'd want to

• reserve an IP address in the router for the base
  • forward the ports you see in the Arlo app to that address.

FWIW, I think most folks would find it easier to set up port forwarding than a home VPN.

SwensonOaks
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I have the same question regarding to watch my Hub recorded videos outside of my home internet connection. Can you explain more details or you have a website that provide step by step to teach how to do it? 

Thanks 

WendyK-60
Aspirant
Aspirant

How would one go about setting this up on my router?

Dannybear
Master
Master
For those that are not technically adept with the risks of port forwarding you may want to consider using subscription which gives you additional features, accessibility to your library on desktop and to friend accounts.

If you’re broke after purchasing your arlo cameras then if you’re router modem is supplied by your isp, contact them for assistance in setting up the port forwarding.
If you supplied your own router then look to the manufacturer for support regards port forwarding.

All router brands are different so it is hard to give instructions.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SwensonOaks wrote:

Hi, I have the same question regarding to watch my Hub recorded videos outside of my home internet connection. Can you explain more details or you have a website that provide step by step to teach how to do it? 

This is a user-to-user forum, and neither @Dannybear nor I work for Arlo.  So we don't have a web site.

The details depend on your router model (and in some cases your internet service provider).

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation