Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Andalusi
Initiate
Initiate

Hi there

My settings are simple: start SIREN when detect PEOPLE motion and start video recording.

When I receive occasional alerts because an animal is detected, I hear that the siren is triggered.

I am happy to receive false positive alerts with animals but I DO NOT WANT the siren to be triggered with animals.

Please advise on how to trigger the siren ONLY for people motion and not for animals motion

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Unfortunately there is no way to set up the system that way.

The rule just triggers on any motion, and then (in your case) sounds the siren.   The SMART notifications suppress only the notifications - not the recordings or siren.

You can try to adjust the motion sensitivity so that it won't trigger on animals.  If there is a way to adjust the camera upwards, so that animals in the field of view are further away, that might also help.

One trick that could be useful - the camera is less sensitive to motion at the top of the field of view.  So if you turn it upside down (and use the invert setting to compensate), the camera will less sensitive to motion on the ground instead.

Andalusi
Initiate
Initiate

thanks for the tip, but I confess my surprise. Arlo is more expensive because its more refined artificial intelligence is able to distinguish between animals and humans. But this added value becomes useless if the siren disturbs the neighbours each time an animal passes by....

Minimizing motion sensitivity is a double edge sword as burglars may also pass unperceived...

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Andalusi wrote:

Minimizing motion sensitivity is a double edge sword as burglars may also pass unperceived...

Agreed.  

@Andalusi wrote:

Arlo is more expensive because its more refined artificial intelligence is able to distinguish between animals and humans. But this added value becomes useless if the siren disturbs the neighbours each time an animal passes by....

Personally, I don't use the siren feature at all.  But I agree it would be good if it could work the way you want.  

One drawback is that there would be a longer delay before the siren sounds.  Today, the siren is triggered by the camera itself, not by the Arlo cloud (where the AI processing is done).  

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation