Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ConcernedTree
Follower
Follower

I'm starting to feel like an idiot. A buddy of mine suggested the Arlo family of cameras to me when I was talking about setting up some home security. I was initially hesitant to because I'd never heard of it, and was going to go with a brand like Ring since they're more well known, but I did see some other good reviews for Arlo so I was a bit torn on it. I saw they came in a 3 pack, and a single. I decided to get a single to test it out and got home to set it up.

From the start it was a headache. Sitting there like a fool holding the camera up to my phone trying to get it to scan a QR code for 10-15 minutes until it finally worked+found the device afterwards. I couldn't help but feel like there would be much easier ways to set up these cameras to my network, but... whatever, I eventually got it to work. I set up my camera outside, and sat back, watching the camera constantly to feel like a villain monitoring his lair.

The first night was good, I had a ton of notifications. My neighbor always has cars coming and going (one of the reasons I wanted a camera setup) and I felt content that I could breathe a little easier once I had all 4 setup (I planned to get a 3 pack once I was satisfied to get full coverage of my home.) But then I went to work today. Everything was fine until about midday, when I noticed I stopped getting notifications. I started checking randomly throughout the day, and sure enough I was seeing things that should have been getting hits for just... ignored. I got pretty annoyed and just figured I'd take a look at it when I got home. Well I pull up, the camera is showing red IRs on either side of the lens and I wave at it, make lots of movement.. then stare eagerly at my phone for a notification... nothing. Big groan. 

So I do some troubleshooting online, someone says they solved it by removing the device and re-pairing it... Figure that was a good place to start... and now here I am trying to get this stupid QR code to scan once more and it's just not playing nice. 

Am I a fool? Should I have trusted my gut and gone with a brand name? I'm mainly looking for someone to tell me something blatant that I've overlooked so I can feel stupid and go back to being happy with my purchase, but I'm starting to feel like I'm going to have to do a refund and tell my buddy he's an idiot and to stop being cheap. 

1 REPLY 1
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ConcernedTree,

If you removed the camera from the account, you should also try factory resetting the camera before going through setup.

Follow the instructions here to factory reset and then test again to see if you still experience the same behavior: How do I factory reset and re-sync my Arlo camera?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation