Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 intermittently goes offline with base station VMB4000r3

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
qfan
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have connected my Arlo Pro 4 with base station VMB4000r3 together with my existing Pro 2 cameras. The Pro 4 cameras sometimes went offline. In most cases, they came back online after a while without intervention. The Pro 2 cameras were all fine. 

Is it something to do with the old base station?

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@qfan wrote:

I have connected my Arlo Pro 4 with base station VMB4000r3 together with my existing Pro 2 cameras. The Pro 4 cameras sometimes went offline. In most cases, they came back online after a while without intervention. The Pro 2 cameras were all fine. 

Is it something to do with the old base station?

The Pro 4s need a better wifi connection than the Pro 2s (because they are sending 2K video, not 1080p).

Try moving one of the cameras close to the base, and see if that improves the situation. 

It also can be helpful to test your home upload wifi speed at the camera location, using speedtest (the oolka app).  If the base is near the router, the connection quality should be about the same.

qfan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the insight.

The base station connects to the router through cable. And my internet upload speed is about 8 Mbps.

I will try to move cameras and see that improves the situation.

Arlo kb mentioned that I should try to move the base station away from other wifi device. Would that also be a consideration?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@qfan wrote:

Arlo kb mentioned that I should try to move the base station away from other wifi device. Would that also be a consideration?

If it's too close to a router or extender, it is possible that the router/extender wifi signal is overloading the radio receiver in the base. 

Try moving the base as far away from the router/extender as the Arlo cable will reach (about 5-6 feet).  No need to be further away than that (and closer will often work ok).

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation